When will Buff ducks lay?

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
They were born the beginning of February, and all literature seems to say that 20 to 24 weeks is the time it takes for them to start laying, but alas, i have no eggs. Why? Am I doing something wrong? They have got to be the happiest animals I ever saw, they are alert and curious and interested in every single thing that goes by. Do they want some special place for laying? Right now they have a little encclosure that is surrounded by chicken wire, but they haven't cared much about staying in it since I got them a kiddie pool for a pond, and they sleep in the kiddie pool.

i got mine around feb 23rd and mine arnt laying yet either! keep waiting it will happen
smile.png

Whoah! You won't believe this, but when I went to empty the duck pond that is a kiddie pool, at the bottom was an egg! Success! Is it still good?

Floats = bad
Sinks = good

You want your egggs to drown, lol. I found a random egg in my pen today. Weird sinc eboth my girls are setting and due in a week or two. First thing I did was walk it over to the kiddie pool and test it out. It had a crack though, so I tossed it.

Ducks are actually sexually mature by 16 weeks, 17-20 weeks is what I always read about laying..

my mallards didn't start laying until they were about 7 months old,my cayuga (R.I.P
hit.gif
) started laying a few weeks shy of 8 months, my blue swed was about 7 months old too.

thr YOUNGEST duck I've had lay is Jumper, my 17 week old crested Mallard
D.gif

BUT she layed 6 eggs, and now I havn't gotten one in about 2 days LOL, curse her for being a seasonal layer!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom