When will by hens go broody??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caral07, Dec 17, 2010.

1. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    I have been taken care of chickens for two years now and none of my hens will go broody. They are all 1 year to 2 years old. I have even left up to 15 eggs in the nest but they want set. They are bb,RIR,Amerucana,White rock,and Stars. What am i doing wrong? And why want they set?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Broodiness has been bred out of many varities of chickens.

You can't make a hen go broody. I wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong.

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Some breeds were developed to lay eggs and not be as broody. Not saying yours don't have to potential to do this, they're perhaps just less inclined too. You may consider picking up a heritage hen that tends to be broody (mine are Faverolles) that can sit on the eggs for you. Maybe you'll have better luck in the spring.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Don't know what BB's are, but, this is my experience. I have EE's, BO's , Dom, Del, and Bantam friz's and CM's. Now I've had each of these breeds go broody and hatch chicks at least once. Right now I have a young EE brooding. She just went and I let her go.

Now I do keep wooden eggs in the nest boxes at all times, just so they know where to lay it, and I hope to discourage egg eating. Not a problem I've had.

I suggest you get some of these breeds. Now I've read that Cochins go broody easily as do Silkies, but you couldn't give me a Silkie cuz I just don't trust them. Some of the birds I mentioned are hatchery birds. I've a friend who had Golden Comets go broody too.

That said they go broody when they want to. There is no system for "making" a hen go broody. Also if you have a broody hatch her chicks to perpetuate the trait. When you get a hen that goes broody mark her and keep her.

Wishing you the best chicken experience

Rancher

5. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    All of the breeds you have, have been bred/selected to NOT ever go broody, that being said, the older they get, the more chance they will go broody. Most production bred, hatchery layers will never go broody the first year, maybe a few will the second year, and a few more the 3rd year, etc. Out of 30 production barred rocks, that were 2 years old, I had 3 go broody and hatch chicks this year. So, about 10% in year 2. It will be more next year. Hatcheries rarely keep breeder birds more than 2, maybe 3 years, so, they really have not bred them to never go broody, just to never go broody the first 2-3 years.[​IMG] You can't make a hen go broody, and leaving eggs does not help, either. When they feel like being broody, they will be. The best broodies , in my experience, have been any type of gamefowl, or any chicken with that sort of ancestry, "game", or not, and most any bantam. We mark and keep any good broody hens, if you do that a few years, you can cross 2 broody lines, and end up with super broodies, we have mixed breed bantams that pretty much are constantly broody, 4-5 times a year!! I have tried silkies and cochins, they really cannot compare to games, way better broodies in every possible way. Usually, most of my hens go broody the first time between April and June, and some will go broody again in late summer if I let them, but, I have had hens be broody every month of the year. A good broody hen will go broody her first year, I don't keep hens of broody breeds that won't set the first year. If you want to do natural incubation, get yourself some sort of gamefowl, or an OEGB. There is a lot of good info out there, google broody hens, a lot of great articles available!!

6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I agree with all said but wanted to add that broody is a change in hormones..hence, we have no control over the process.
    I have read that chances are higher with chickens from a breeder rather than hatchery.
    Hatcheries are more concerned with production.
    Two of my cuckoo marans set this year, 2 SS, an Australorp( only 7 months old), And a Delaware.

You could always try advertising for a broody.
    Some people do not want to mess with them.
    for instance if someone is selling eggs and does not want to mess with a hen that will not lay for the period of time it takes to hatch and raise a clutch.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by