**When will i get eggs?**

Yeah, they're pretty spoiled... they've taken to begging outside the front door when the fish bucket is empty
roll.png
but as long as they give me eggs, I'll give them fish
tongue.png
The cheapest are $3/dozen, the big ones are $7/dozen. It is a riot to watch, they slurp them up like spaghetti

So what do you do.....stick them in the water bowl? In the swimming water? (I can't imagine they'd live long in swimming water with all the duck-muck in there!)

Put them in the kiddie pool. The ducks hunt them all down in no time!

I did have some feeders I dumped in their pond when they were able to freerange. One got away and was able to hide from the ducks for over a YEAR. It got HUGE and had no trouble living in mucky duck water.​

Quote:
Hello fellow Cheesehead!

I agree with what everyone else has said about feed - I do feed a handful of cracked corn every day, but my flock gets Purina Duck grower mixed with Layena and I buy them bags of baby spinach leaves at the grocery store that they get every few days. Mine are spoiled too.
smile.png
Since it's the beginning of the laying season, I've been scrambling up some chicken eggs and feeding it to them as a treat every few days. They LOVE it, and it's extra protein with all the nutrients their bodies need to start laying their own eggs.

And guess what?! I just got my first lovely pale green Indian Runner egg (from my pretty White girl, Maisie) this morning! (The camera flash made it look a bit weird)
big_smile.png

4387806300_eca67d8be2_m.jpg
4387000015_dc697d72eb_m.jpg

It's a full month earlier than I expected it! For the past three years, since my Khaki Campbell hens were old enough to lay, they've started laying in the last week of March like clockwork. It's the last week of February and I have an EGG!!!
wee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Went and picked up some food today for them with bout 16% protien. Shouldn't be long i hope tell i get some eggs. If i leave them in there will she sit?

Quote:
I would assume so - I have 2 mallards, but they're both drakes, and all my other breeds are rubbish at sitting. But I would assume that, once she has accumulated what she considers to be a full clutch, a mallard hen would sit her bum down and incubate them.

Quote:
As far as separating mom+babies from the drakes - it's really up to you. I guess it's dependent upon how much space they have; if they're crammed into a tight space, definately separate your nesting duck from the drakes. If they roam a large area, it's probably still a good idea to separate them, just to be safe, but she should have the protective instincts not to let any drakes near her ducklings. I'm super-paranoid and don't like to take chances.
smile.png

In your first post, you asked if they need anything (i.e. a little hut) to nest in. Not really - they'll probably just choose a corner somewhere on the floor - just make sure they have some nice, clean, dry straw to nest in. Here's how my ducks all nest:
4390349756_35d67b471f.jpg

Can you find the two Campbell eggs up the in the corner? I'm sure you'll start getting eggs very soon!
smile.png

Quote:
Hey mine too! They also seem to pick through the feed and eat the corn. They eat the pellets only as a last resort!
gig.gif

As far as the fish thing goes I go to the local bait shop and get a scoop or two of crappie minnows for like 2-4 bucks versus buyin feeder fish for .25 a peice around here.

Back
Top Bottom