When Will I Know For Sure the Gender

Danniro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I posted about my two young ones a bit ago and got mixed response (on gender), thought I'd ask now.
The chicken in question is about 13 weeks, a BO/Ameraucana mix. Her comb got red before her sister's (BO/Jersey Giant), but isn't particularly big. I think it's a pea comb but I'm not sure. Her behavior doesn't seem particularly rooster-ish, though the two of them sometimes have squabbles where they sort of "leap" up at each other. Also one or the other will occasionally jump from one surface to another and accidentally land on top of the other.
I am no chicken sexing expert but have always been worried about the comb redness. She is also not as docile as the other, from time to time I will reach for her and she pecks me, not hard though they're still so young. She's smalled in height and width to her sister, I figured they'd both be quite fluffy so I'm worried that's she's slimmer. But the fact that she seems vocally less mature than the other is somewhat comforting. At the moment the BO/JG makes awkward hoarse bwacks and the BO/Ameraucana peeps and bwacks.
I have had a rooster before in a batch of chicks and I remember we were able to tell fairly quickly he was a he. Though he was a Speckled Sussex and they get quite fancy looking. I know it's harder to sex Ameraucanas.

We'd need a photo, can't judge from behavior or descriptions alone, sorry; behavior means nothing pre-puberty, both genders exhibit the whole spectrum.

Best wishes.

I'm certainly no pro, but it doesn't look male to me.
thumbsup.gif

I have just been worried because I know Ameraucanas are hard to sex

Thanks! I'm so relieved.
Is she just not as docile as the other then? She pecks me sometimes when I reach for her. I've never had a chicken who did that

Clearly not a docile hen. She has a weird look in the eye, once you've kept enough chickens to have a lot more experience you'll find you can tell which aren't right in the head by the looks in their eyes. Just as you can learn to spot mental imbalance in other species by the strange looks in their eyes. Eventually (well, immediately really) they will all show you the reasons behind their strange looks.

Since I cull against harmful behavioral traits as well as bad genetics etc I remove all nasty chooks of both genders because they're too much of a risk for my own safety as well as the other birds' safety. That's how I manage it but what you do is entirely dependent on your circumstances. What starts mild when they're young almost always (but not 100% of the time) gets worse with age. A heck of a lot of it is heritable too. Good breeds were established precisely by removing such dubious individuals from the genepool.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom