When will my birds lay eggs?!

Does anyone know when Wyandottes lay eggs, mine arent yet? I've had them since April 4th, they may have been a week old, got them at Tractor Supply. Plus, does anyone have chickens that sleep on the roof instead of in the coop? Bout half of mine like to sleep on top of my shed, not always the same ones either.
Do you free range?
How many birds?
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely.

Also...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-24_9-52-33.png

First off, yes some of their combs are beginning turn a brighter red and growing larger, I know that's a sign they're about ready to lay.
Second, I have 13 birds, started with 15 but 2 ran off, i expected that might happen with free range. I only put them up at night and when the weather is bad. My coop is about 3 1/2 W x 4 1/2 H x 6 1/2 L. And I have two of those put together with the box on either end. Eventually I'll build something bigger.

My first flock last year got into the habit of going onto the top of the coop or trees above it instead of inside. They had plenty of room so it wasn’t a crowding issue, but it only took 1 who wanted to try it to convince several of them to do it. And once they get into a habit it is harder to break.

I would go out just before dusk and skoot them in before they have a chance to think about going higher...or trim the branches if there’s trees around to limit their access to higher ground...

Back
Top Bottom