When will my Buff Roo put on the man pants ??

JoeOxfordCT

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
Oxford, CT.
Good Morning,

I have 9 RIR pullets that I got as day olds in late August and 3 Buffs, 2 pullets, & 1 cockerel that I got from PurpleChicken in early October. The Buffs have been in the coop with the Reds for about 3 weeks now. I guess it's natural but the Reds frequently pick on the little Buffs. I have box in the coop with a wire opening only big enough to let the Buffs in and out. I just strung mason's line on my run so I can safely (fingers crossed) let everyone range during the day but the two breed definitely don't mix. I am anxiously looking forward til when the Buff roo is big and old enough to "assert" himself and even out the balance of power in our coop.

When will roos typically begin to crow and act like roos act ??

Here are some pics and also a pic of the plexi window setup I just put in place last week. The coop is unheated and not insulated (yet) but just covering the windows has made a significant different in the coop temps I encounter in the morning when I go to run out fresh water.

2007-12-09052.jpg

2007-12-09057.jpg

2007-12-09056.jpg

2007-12-09058.jpg

2007-12-09059.jpg

Those Buffs are looking good Joe and so are your reds. I'd love to add
a red to our flock as our last one turned out to be a roo.

We ended up with 1 pullet and 1 roo Buff. I'm expecting him to act like a roo by 18
weeks or so. He is with 3 Leghorn roos, all who are acting like roos already. One
even is trying to crow. Yours may act like a roo quicker since he is your only roo.
I have found when you have multiple roos some mature much quicker and some
much slower.

Once he learns to do the rooster dance with your girls I'd love to get some fertile
Buff/Red eggs from you. They make a great cross.

Your coop is gonna be fun in early spring. He's gonna be one lucky guy with all
those girls.

Quote:
So how old would you put the Buff's at right now ?

Quote:
No problem ! You'll have to coach me on how to differentiate between regular and fertilized eggs....
tongue.png

My Buff Orp roo started crowing at 12 weeks. He started doing the "man thing" at five months, and soon thereafter became a real gentleman, letting the girls get all the treats and so on. He's a love!

octoberchickens019.jpg

He's gorgeous !!!
tongue.png

Can't wait til mine grows up and takes charge...
wink.png

...and you know what ? My 3 Buffs are the friendliest chickens I have ever owned by far.

When I go into the coop in the morning one will come up to me and jump onto my shoulder..then the second and then frantically the third, afraid of being left behind. I'll end up with one on each shoulder and one on my head. Then they peck at my head & ears or at the collar of my shirt.
tongue.png
while the RIR's look on jealously..
roll.png

When it's time to go I'll lean over hoping they'll hop or fly off but no, they simply move down my back until I'm bent over 90 degrees and they're sitting in the middle of my back. I'll have to literally reach around and take them off one by one. If I don't do this fast enough the first one I put down will fly back up on my shoulder while I'll feeling around for the next bird.

I love my Reds too but the Buff's have been a revelation for me....
tongue.png
tongue.png

J.
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
So how old would you put the Buff's at right now ?

7 weeks sounds about right. They were born around 10/21.

The Buff Orps are much more docile than RIR's.........The RIR's will continue to pick at the Buffs and the roo until he is mature and decides he aint takin' it any more. RIR's are just a more aggressive breed.

Back
Top Bottom