WHEN will my chickens lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster47, Jul 10, 2010.

1. rooster47

rooster47 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    I have 5 Isa Brown chickens and am wondering when they will begin laying eggs. They are 15 weeks old, adorable, but I'm not sure if I should get the nesting box ready yet. They WERE sleeping and pooping in the nesting boxes so I covered them so they would not use them yet. Also, am wondering who out there HAS Isa Browns? They are a cross between a Rhode Island Red (mother) and a Rhode Island White (father). They are so cute. Getting chickens has been on my "bucket list" most of my life! They are so entertaining to watch. Thanks for the help.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    they should start to lay anywhere between 4 to 8 months. So it maybe safe to say bring out the boxes.

3. rooster47

rooster47 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    How will I know when they are beginning to lay eggs?

4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    A couple of signs to look for our bright red combs, and they will "squat" when you approach them. Have fun!

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You'll also notice that they start "trying out" the nest boxes. It's a very exciting time!

6. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

I would open their nest boxes back up and put in some fake eggs along with whatever bedding material you will be using. Fake eggs could be anything from golf balls, wooden eggs, plastic eggs...anything vaguely egg shaped seemed to work for my girls. Each day I'd remake the nest, group up the eggs and clean out any poop.

When my girls were beginning to lay, I found a few tiny eggs in odd places but that was it, they caught on pretty quick.

Good luck!

ps mine started laying at 16 weeks, barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by