when will my chickens lay i got them in march

farmer12

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
i got them in may any time theyll be laying advice would be nice
and how many times do i clean the coop a month
thank you

March or May? You may get an egg at 18 weeks or it might be several weeks longer.

Cleaning depends greatly on your setup. I just add pine shavings, a little Sevin and a little pelletized lime, and it is cleaned out once a year, for my large, breezy, dirt floor coop. If your coop is small and close, it may need a weekly cleaning. If you can smell ammonia, it needed cleaning yesterday.

ok mines small and i got them in march and
whats the shortest amount of time theyll lay eggs and the longest time

I had hens that stopped laying eggs when they were only two years old but some can lay eggs for several years.

If you got them in March then they will probably begin to lay eggs when they are about 5 or 6 months old which would be in August or September.

Last edited:
They will lay when they are ready. They are individuals and will mature at different rates. There are many variables that figure in to when they lay. The quality of the feed, any stress they may feel, the time of the year, etc... They usually follow the time table for maturity of their breeds. How many times do you clean the coop? Some clean every day, others once or twice a year. As flockwatcher said it depends on you set up.

Back
Top Bottom