When will my chickens lay their eggs?

blackwingedwolf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
I have six girls, all different ages and different breeds. I was wondering when they will start laying. I'm so excited!

I have:

1.) A White Leghorn (19 weeks)
2.) A Red Star (19 weeks)
3.) Two Rhode Island Red (both 17 weeks)
4.) An Australorp (I think..) (16 weeks.. I think..)
5.) A Hamburgh (or a rosecomb) (15 weeks)

The White Leghorn, both Rhode Island Reds, and Hamburgh (or rosecomb..) all have red combs. Could they be laying soon? The Australorp doesn't have much of a comb yet, and the Red Star's comb is still a light pink, so I'm not expecting them to lay anytime soon.

If you need to see some pictures then I will take them as soon as possible!

Thank you!

If they have bright red waxy combs then yes they will be laying soon. I would think that the red star and leghorn would be the first to lay . Australorps are a heavy breed and take longer to mature, grow and lay. About 20 weeks is average for sex linked pullets and up to 32 weeks for heavy breeds. Make sure they are getting plenty of calcium and protein in their diets. The calcium is vital for the eggs or they will be thin shelled and break easily and the hen will take the calcium out of her bones which leads to brittle bones. Grit in a free feeder/ another container where they can eat it as they please is also essential.

I have them free-ranging all around my backyard, and I watch them as they eat rocks and little stones every now and again, so I don't need to waste the money on grit since they get it from the yard. I already got Oyster Shells because I've been prepping for them to lay and I'm going to keep that out all the time so they can get it if they need it when they do start laying. Can I put them on a layer's feed now or are the others still too young to eat it? I don't want them laying until they're ready.

When I get home, I'll take pictures of them and put them up.

If you still have growers then make a mix of it and layers till the growers is all gone. But yes layers pellets/mash will be fine

Alright :) I have starter/grower feed and I'll mix the layer into it. Thanks! I'll still add the pictures later

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom