When will my chickens molt?

I guess March hatched chicks are different?
Not really when talking molting. Some spring-hatched chicks may molt that same fall, but most will wait until the following summer/fall when they are over a year old. It actually has more to do with day length and less to do with what month it is or what the weather is like. and then there's individual genetics to factor in.

Not really when talking molting. Some spring-hatched chicks may molt that same fall, but most will wait until the following summer/fall when they are over a year old. It actually has more to do with day length and less to do with what month it is or what the weather is like. and then there's individual genetics to factor in.
Ah ok. Just interesting that @WIchickMama and me have March chicks that molted. Interesting.

Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.

We got ours in April of last year too and they have decided to start molting now. They are Brahmas and marans. My poor marans look like turkens 😂 this is our first flock, they will start when they are ready. I know Brahmas feather slow so they will be molting forever lol. You just have to time take it’s course.

Back
Top Bottom