when will my chickens start laying?

stclairmomx4

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
virginia
I have 4 RIRS hens, 4 Brahma hens and 1 jersey giant rooster. This is my first time ever raising chickens. I bought them 22 weeks ago at tractor supply locally.. they haven't laid any eggs yet.. they have laying boxes in their coop. Should I expect eggs soon or will they wait until next spring?

No, they'll start soon. If they were 22 weeks in October, they may have waited a while.

If their combs and wattles have grown and are bright red, they're very close. Make sure they don't have a secret nest somewhere.

Welcome to BYC. Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2, your birds are very close to laying. They usually start within 5-7 months. If they are squatting, singing, trying the nests and have red combs and wattles, those eggs will be coming down those pipes soon!:)

Glad you joined!

this is one of my favorite babies! She always likes to be held. They definitely sing and try out the nesting boxes. But I'm not sure if their combs are red enough... what do you think?

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Mountain Peeps X2 They are probably not old enough and you may have to wait another few weeks. Keep an eye on the combs, wattles and faces. When they start to get full and red, and the birds start to squat, the eggs will be coming soon!

Good luck and I hope the eggs start coming soon!

this is one of my favorite babies! She always likes to be held. They definitely sing and try out the nesting boxes. But I'm not sure if their combs are red enough... what do you think?
It looks like they have a ways to go. Probably 5 more weeks.

Are you sure they're 22 weeks? Do they spend most of the day outside or are they let out late?

I bought them from tractor supply on March the 3rd. They stay in a coop with a run area it's completely under roof. I do let them free range about 1 day a week.. should I let them out more often? We have alot of dogs that run around our neighborhood and I'm afraid they could get one of my chickens..

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Those hens look like they still need a little time. The average age for a pullet to start laying is around 25 weeks, but some of them take a bit longer and others will lay sooner. The comb, wattles and squatting is good signs and you can also check their pubic bones (if they'll let you). Hold the hen firmly and turn her on her back. Put your fingers on her breast bone and work your way down to her vent area. You should feel 2 bones sticking up. These are her pelvic bones. If you can fit only 1 finger upright between her pelvic bones she's still roughly 4 weeks off laying, 1 and 1/2 fingers means she's a little closer, 2/3 weeks and 2 or more fingers means she's either close to or laying already.

Back
Top Bottom