When will my duck lay eggs?

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
Hey! I'm posting here to see if anyone knows when my duck will lay eggs. She is a Pekin, 4.5 months old, and she squats whenever I walk up to her. I'm asking this because google gives me mixed signals, some sites say 4 months, some say 7, and anything in between. Thanks!

Hey! I'm posting here to see if anyone knows when my duck will lay eggs. She is a Pekin, 4.5 months old, and she squats whenever I walk up to her. I'm asking this because google gives me mixed signals, some sites say 4 months, some say 7, and anything in between. Thanks!
Well...
That is because they can start as early as 4 months.. or it could be 7... or anything in between.🤣

I don't have pekin ducks, but I'm pretty sure all ducks are seasonal layers so if it's starting to get colder and the days are shorter where you Are your duck may not lay until spring. Or she may surprise you with an egg tomorrow. Just depends on the duck.
My cayuga ducks start slowing down this time of year sometimes they won't lay one every single day and then they will stop for a few months in the winter.

For posterity, I wanted to post an update to my reply/advice here-

Our older lady ducks are 22 weeks old and up to 3 days ago they weren't laying. We started giving them a little dry cat food over the weekend with the regular feed and we got our first duck egg on tuesday and another yesterday. They are half mallard/half rouens. I'm not one to give advice I wouldn't also try. I saw the tip on Goldshaw Farms, also read it a few places.

Also potentially worth noting, 2 of our 22 week old easter eggers also started laying little blue eggs the same day. Maybe it helped them, too?

For posterity, I wanted to post an update to my reply/advice here-

Our older lady ducks are 22 weeks old and up to 3 days ago they weren't laying. We started giving them a little dry cat food over the weekend with the regular feed and we got our first duck egg on tuesday and another yesterday. They are half mallard/half rouens. I'm not one to give advice I wouldn't also try. I saw the tip on Goldshaw Farms, also read it a few places.

Also worth nothing, 2 of our easter eggers also started laying little blue eggs the same day. Maybe it helped them, too?
Thanks for the reply! I have given my duck cat food, and still no eggs.

Back
Top Bottom