When will my ducks lay?

That's an interesting question and I have been wondering when the rest of our girls will get with the program. :) I am not sure with the breed of your hens.

We have two Mallard hens and six Pekin/Rouen mixed hens. The two Mallards are four weeks older then the others and started laying at six month if I market it on the calendar correctly. LOL

We have been getting three duck eggs every morning fairly consistently, one light green egg for Miss Piggy and Porky her sister lays a light brownish egg and Pretty Girl the P/R mixed lays a larger white egg. I know I spend way to much time with our flock to have this figured out. :gig

When we decided to get duckling for something fun to do, I wasn't really thinking of having them for the purpose of egg layers so we decided to get four Isa Brown hens chicks for the purpose of fresh eggs. Duck eggs have a cool factor to them and many people like them for eating and cooking over chicken eggs from what I have been reading about them.

I am guessing by this next spring, we will be having more eggs then what we will know what to do with them all. :)

https://www.wideopenpets.com/ten-reasons-why-duck-eggs-are-better-than-chicken-eggs/

My runner duck girls were born in May and started laying about two weeks ago. Well, one and maybe two of them did. She or they were producing about every day. Now, it appears after three days with no eggs that they are planning on taking a break until spring like all the "big girls" in the flock.

I also did not get ducks for the eggs, only because I fell in love with runners And, it's interesting that some people who get eggs from me ONLY want duck eggs for their richness and advantages in baked goods. Others seem almost frightened at the prospect. One woman, actually said, "I didn't know you could EAT duck eggs." Yup, educatin' folks one egg at a time. I have even convinced a few people that goose eggs are great!

I know what you mean about some people and the thought of eating an egg other then one from a chicken. LOL I think they are great, the only thing that turns me off about any fresh farm egg, is if they are fertile and you get the little red bloody spot in them when you crack them open. This is the other reason our Drakes will have their own coop until I want them around the girls. :gig

My Welshie is also 6 months old and started laying a week ago. Her first was a huge double yolker and she has laid every day since! I had assumed I would have to wait until spring because the days are getting pretty short now, but she surprised me. My Saxony is a couple of weeks younger, so no eggs from her yet. Might have to wait until spring for her. Good luck, hopefully soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom