When will my egg hatch?

chickeneer45

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
I got a bunch of new silkies on the 26th of October and one was broody when I bought her. I have no rooster nor fertile eggs, but she came from a flock of roosters so the day after I got her, Sunday, the 27th of October, I was shocked to see she had laid an egg. I decided to let her sit on it since it may have had the potential to hatch. As it turns out, she isn't a really good broody mother because every time I checked on her the egg would be directly sitting in front of her and she would think she was sitting on it but it wasn't. This went on for about five days until I decided to try my luck with an incubator. I highly doubted that the egg would still be viable after constantly being left out in the cold, but I gave it a try anyways. It was either the 31st or the 1st that I put it in the incubator and the second day in, the incubator lost power for at least 8 hours. I thought for sure the egg was dead, but since then I think I can see a developing embryo in the egg, however I am awful at candling so I can't be completely sure. Anyways, I have kept it in their despite the many mistakes that have occurred and I am trying to determine when to increase the humidity. The egg could potentially hatch any time from this Saturday, the 16th, to this upcoming Friday, the 22nd. You are supposed to increase the humidity two days before, right? When is suggested? I don't know when the embryo started developing, especially with so many temperature fluctuations.... Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you hand tuning or automatic turning? If hand turning tap on the top of then incubator and if the egg moves stop turning and increase humidity. You can also tap on the egg to see if you get a tap back.

I'd expect it to be a late hatcher. If you candle using a bright light, see if you can see movement or lay the egg on its side on a hard surface to see if it wiggles. Just be careful it doesn't roll away! Also, I usually don't raise the humidity until I hear peeping (internal pip) or when I see the first external pip. So you should be fine till then. I wish you luck and hope it hatches!

So 3 days left (technically) and I held the egg and I think I felt slight movement but not sure, should I turn the turner off? it could have been my imagination........

Leave the turner on, I have had eggs hatch with it on. Automatic turner is not as much of a change as hand turning. Just make sure it is not on once they start to hatch, they can get heads and legs caught.

Are all the eggs on the same schedule. If yes then for sure take them off the turner and set them in there to hatch. Also raise humidity.

If not then leave it in the turner and let it hatch upright.

Back
Top Bottom