When will my egg hatch?

If the hole is getting bigger don't worry, I usually intervene if it goes more than 24 hours with no change. Just SLOWLY and CAREFULLY peel some of the shell of by the beak. If you see any blood stop immediately.

If the membrane is stuck to the chick it means it got dried out. Use warm water to wet it down with your fingertips.

If membrane seams fine you can either put it back in after the beak is clear, or try to peel it more. If there is no blood at all it means the chick is ready.

I would try clearing the beak and seeing if that's enough to get the little one zipping the egg.

If the hole is getting bigger don't worry, I usually intervene if it goes more than 24 hours with no change. Just SLOWLY and CAREFULLY peel some of the shell of by the beak. If you see any blood stop immediately.

If the membrane is stuck to the chick it means it got dried out. Use warm water to wet it down with your fingertips.

If membrane seams fine you can either put it back in after the beak is clear, or try to peel it more. If there is no blood at all it means the chick is ready.

I would try clearing the beak and seeing if that's enough to get the little one zipping the egg.

My thoughts exactly. Let it take it's own course until after 24 hours.

In my last hatch I had to assist, but it's normally rare and only required in certain circumstances. Normally, instincts work fine and nature does it's thing.

A lot is happening between the pip and zip, the yolk needs to be absorbed, the veins need to drain and retract and the chick needs to be able to turn. This all is spaced out with peeps and rests, so it can take some time. No need to rush in there until you have to.

Also, it looks as if it has trouble walking and I am wondering if this may be splayed legs.... Any advice? Thanks again

That depends what sort of trouble is is having.

If it spends a lot of time laying on it's front, with it's legs under it and kind of staggers around like it's had a few too many chick juices, then that's normal.

If it's legs are spread and can't get them underneath it (most commonly from slippery surfaces like paper or smooth wood) then it could be splayed legs. There are a number of threads on here to walk you through the band aid solution. Personally, I have never had it so I am limited on what I can offer.

Example of splayed/spraddled leg

Sample of how most people treat. (Search in the search bar for more info on the process)

Normal 'just hatched' walking samples (these are mine)

Some pics of your new one would help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom