When will my hen finally lay an egg?

CityChick7775

Hatching
Jun 17, 2015
Bakersfield, Ca
Ok, I'm sure you guys hear this question all the time. I got my chicks May 3rd (they were 3 days old) they are 17 weeks old. When can I expect them to start laying? They don't even seem close
sad.png

It depends a lot on the kind of chickens. For instance, Red or BlackSex Links are known for laying early - around 17 weeks sometimes - while Brahmas wait until the moon is full on the second Tuesday of every week. <sigh> Just kidding but waiting for my Brahmas to start sure felt that way! My first Easter Egger kicked in at 19 weeks, but the others didn't follow for a few more weeks. So within each breed or variety of chicken there are individual timelines.

I told someone once when she asked when her chickens would lay that there's a simple formula. You'll start watching for red combs and wattles, squatting, and practicing the egg song. You'll get all excited knowing that it will be any day now, so you start checking nests daily - usually even multiple times daily. Nothing. You'll hear that egg song and break your neck getting out there and find - nothing. You'll see a pullet on the nest and your heart will start racing, and after seeing her back out among the flock you'll race out there and there, in that nest, is absolutely nothing. This process, known as "The Egg Watch" can go on for a couple of weeks.

Finally one day you'll decide that you aren't helping the process along by harassing them, and dirty dishes are building to alarming heights while you spend too much time on "watch", so you back off. You'll go to town, take in a movie, maybe some shopping and a nice dinner, and after a very relaxing day among humans you'll come home, go out to lock up the coop, and there, shining softly in the moonlight, will be one perfect little pullet egg. This leads to part two of "The Egg Watch" - which one laid it.

That is soooo funny! you have clearly been through this a time or two.
smile.png
Thank you for your response. It was very helpful. I will take your advise. It feels like I'm waiting for Christmas
idunno.gif

Yep, been there! Silly chickens!! Be careful what you wish for - I'm now inundated and can't get them all sold or used up as fast as I'd like. So once a week or so I take the carton of the oldest eggs, hardboil them, chop them up shells and all, and feed them back to the girls. The extra protein is good for them, and they get some of the calcium back from the egg shells.

You'll get that sometimes. But they lay in cycles so you might find one or the other on her "day off" time and only get one. If their timing for their day off coincides, then you'll go a day without any eggs. I have 28 chickens out there at the moment, some of which are pullets that haven't started laying yet. When they all kick in I could be in real trouble! I may have to build a walk-in cooler!

The town I live in is very small - 600+ people. A lot of them have chickens or have family with chickens. So my market for eggs is limited. I do have some regular customers, and I got them by giving away eggs when the girls started laying and the egg sizes were still erratic. I kinda got them hooked that way, and then when the eggs were nice and consistent I started charging. I'd told folks that was what I was going to do so it was no surprise. Now I keep them coming back by keeping the coop and run always looking nice and inviting, and by giving them the best of the eggs we gather. If you've never eaten a fresh egg before, you are in for such a treat! When my husband and I would go out to eat, I often liked to go to places that served breakfast all day long. I'd get eggs, bacon, toast and a tomato juice, every time. After eating eggs from our girls, I don't even bother anymore. There is no comparison.

Why, thank you Mutt. That was very nice to see! I hate it when life gets in the way - but then I think about dying and hope with all I have that life gets in the way of that, too!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom