When will my hens lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by antiquebuff, Feb 27, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I am new to back yard chickens and I am loving every minute of it! [​IMG] But, I bought four hens that were 6 months old and they were laying. I have had them 4 weeks and there are no eggs to be seen. I put nesting boxes in and have straw in them and plastic eggs but still no luck. I am feeding cracked corn, laying pellet and oyster shells. They can go outside in their pen any time and back inside. They are bantam cochins and Polish Top Hats. What am I doing wrong ??? I love these beautiful birds!
    I also have 15 silkies and 8 cochins in the incubator that are due to hatch March 1st. I think I have the fever![​IMG]
    Thanks for any information! [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You have done nothing wrong. Changes in environment, new coop, move, new flock mates can cause stress that will cause a shut down in egg production for weeks.

3. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    When they darn well feel like it. It's like watching the pot boil.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hens need 14 hours of light for optimum laying results. Hanging a light bulb in the coop with a timer will achieve this. I choose to add the additional time in am hours, so the flock can go to roost like normal and not have it go dark in the miidle of a drink or whatever.

Maybe the previous owner was providing additioal lighting?

Stress from the new environment would also make a difference.

bigzio

5. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    I was wondering the same thing. I got my girls in january everyone seems happy and heathy. Im giving them extra light, layer pellets, cracked corn, oatmeal, and veggie/ fruit scraps. I got a few eggs in the first few days I had them then nothing. Could our up and down weather keep them from laying?

6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for all the help. I think I may need to add some light. It has been a very cold here in the Western NC Mountains. I may also be driving them crazy going to check on them so you are right in the "Watch pot never Boils" [​IMG]
    Maybe when my Silkies hatch on Monday I will give them all the attention and the others can have a break![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by