When will my hens lay also is diahrea normal after move?

weenie007

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
I just got 10 RIRs on Monday the 12th and none have layed an egg yet. I think three are molting and all the rest look like they would be in good laying conditions. I am feeding them oyster shells, layer feed and vitamins and electrolytes. They are all 9 to 11 months old. Do they just need to be left alone because I am going into their area about 5 times a day.

I also have another question a couple of them have diahrea. It is a greenish-yellow liquid poo. They are all eating and drinking properly too. Should I worry about the liquid poo since I just moved them? I am going to go get yogurt tomorrow.

I have RIR's too. It will take them some time to adjust, and you probably won't see any eggs for a couple of weeks or so. I started a treat program. everyday I would go out and give them treats, in moderation, seeing what their preferance was. When I found out I would go out and sit with them for awhile with their favorite treat.

Last edited:
layer feed is all they should be getting.

why on earth are you feeding them all that other stuff?

if they are not laying then they don't need oyster shell. and even if they are laying they don't need oyster shell if you are feeding layer feed. you only need the extra stuff you are feeding if there is a notable issue.

try just the feed, without anything other than lots of fresh water for a few days.

the layer feed I get says on the label "Do not feed anything else".
I do give the girls there egg shells back once or twice a week only if the shells have not gotten to thick. as well they get peelings and veggy bits once in a while but they like hunting crickets ATM.

I hope this helps.
A-

From another post on another forum.

Chickens do not have teeth. Their food goes, as is, into the crop, where it is slowly funneled into a very small " stomach" for some digestive additives--then to the Gizzard, where it is 'chewed', that is, ground into material that can be digested as it moves into the intestines and so on. The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite, that lasts well. All other rock and stone is so much softer, that it wears down fast and that is why granite grit is best choice, works really well for best utilization of feeds. My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleasure, baby grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age.

Oyster shells can act as grit to an extent, but young birds who are not laying should not have oyster shell. Grit that is usually granite grit, does the job much better than oyster shell, which really isn't that hard. Grit grinds the Oyster Shell. While the gizzard is an amazingly strong organ, the Grit is a part of its function. Also, if they free range they will eat dirt for grit, but I always have a dish of granite grit and a dish of oyster shells near their food.

Mine have access 24/7 to their food and water. I give them treats of scratch, (oats, whole sunflower seeds, once in awhile wild bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I make sure they have plenty of grit and oyster shells. If you can't find chick grit for the chicks, I take regular granite grit and smash it.

Actually with all the vegies and scraps plus free ranging them, they still eat their layer, and I do see them in their grit and oyster shell dishes too. My girls are healthy and happy.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom