When will My Rhode Island Reds start laying eggs/etc

ClayCraft2000

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 9, 2015
Hi there, I was wondering when the usual time that Rhode Island Reds start laying eggs? I live in the upper midwest (WI) so it's pretty cold right now, but I keep their coop around 40 degrees F. Will that delay their laying? Plus another question. Is this the usual size for Standard RIRs at 21 weeks?(Picture attached) Thanks! -Clay. (P.S. In the picture I put where they are outside, they have their coop above them, and they were just out for some outdoor time, they are usually in the 40 Degree coop as I said b-4.)

Last edited:
Hi, not so useful to think about typical age of lay since every chicken is different. That, combined with the season makes it difficult to say when they will begin to lay. Patience is the name of the game I'm afraid.

All the best
Ct

RIRs typically start laying at 20-25 weeks, sometime a little earlier but with the cold winter weather your pullets laying could be delayed somewhat. Your RIRs appear to be right on track size-wise.

Going by The size and redness if those combs they should be laying soon, squating is another good way to tell when they are coming close

Back
Top Bottom