When will my rooster turn mean?

Keep being hands on with him and he likely won't ever be mean. Him being in a flock of older hens they will also help keep him in check.
Oh that gives me some hope! Thank you!

It’s a very established flock and the top hens are used to ruling the roost, as little Tarzan can’t do very much with them, bless him 😂

It is possible he won't turn mean. I'm in a similar situation. I have a tiny Serama (Tobias) and a half Cuckoo Maran/English Orington (Trixster). Both get along great and both are fully mature. Tobias is king of the coop. I raised Trixster from an egg and he's never been aggressive. Think if you spend time with him all should be well.

I’ve read so many threads and YouTube videos about roosters turning aggressive in the past months that I think I genuinely forgot it doesn’t always have to be that way!
How many hens do your two boys share? So interesting that size isn’t the determiner of who is the boss!

Just because he's a boy, doesn't mean that he'll turn bad eventually!
I have two roosters, one is an EE, the other is a cochin bantam. The EE did go through a phase when he was younger, where he would try to challenge me. I made it clear to him that behavior like that was unacceptable. Now that he's older and fully mature, his hormones have calmed down, and he is a very sweet boy. I don't put him near my face, just to be safe, but I know that he's not going to hurt me for any reason.
Meanwhile, the cochin bantam never went through that phase. He's been sweet and calm his whole life. I cuddle him all the time, and I let him put his face near mine, because I know that he would never hurt me.

He's docile and slightly skiddish. Doesn't like to be held but will tolerate it. He has never shown human aggression. My little Serama rooster is the boss of him, lol. Besides cuckoo Maran he is English Orpington, which a cold hardy, more feathers, heavy breed.

What a gorgeous boy!
I’m keeping everything crossed that Eagle will be similar! So far he sounds the same. If he wants to stop the cuddles once he becomes a moody teenager I’ll understand - just so long as he doesn’t become a coop terrorist!

So interesting that size isn’t the determiner of who is the boss!
It is interesting, isn't it? I have a rooster who is half silkie so he's pretty small. I had an Easter egger cockerel last year who was easily twice his size but little Paco beat his butt! I ended up processing that other cockerel because he tried to attack me and my son so I just have Paco now. But he grew up in a flock with a bunch of ladies to keep him in his place and he has showed zero signs of aggression. He's just about a year old now.
20220113_085938.jpg

I’ve read so many threads and YouTube videos about roosters turning aggressive in the past months that I think I genuinely forgot it doesn’t always have to be that way!
How many hens do your two boys share? So interesting that size isn’t the determiner of who is the boss!
They currently share 7 hens. Though Tobias can't physically mate with the bigger hens (least I think so), so he has 2 serama ladies.

Just because he's a boy, doesn't mean that he'll turn bad eventually!
I have two roosters, one is an EE, the other is a cochin bantam. The EE did go through a phase when he was younger, where he would try to challenge me. I made it clear to him that behavior like that was unacceptable. Now that he's older and fully mature, his hormones have calmed down, and he is a very sweet boy. I don't put him near my face, just to be safe, but I know that he's not going to hurt me for any reason.
Meanwhile, the cochin bantam never went through that phase. He's been sweet and calm his whole life. I cuddle him all the time, and I let him put his face near mine, because I know that he would never hurt me.

Ahh thank you - I needed to hear this! I’ve been genuinely convincing myself it was inevitable these past few weeks and preparing for the worst!

How long did the challenging phase last with your EE, do you think? I’m very happy to work with him and get him through it - can’t imagine having to let him go anywhere else now. Just need my neighbours to keep the faith in him too!

That said, he fell in the duck pond the other day and they took him inside to sit in the dog bed by the fire. So i think they might love him a little bit too! 🥰

If be behaves himself I’m happy to trust him up on my shoulder still, but I guess it’s a wait-and-see situation. Right now I think he just likes it because he can eat his snacks away from all the hungry hens!

Last edited:
What a gorgeous boy!
I’m keeping everything crossed that Eagle will be similar! So far he sounds the same. If he wants to stop the cuddles once he becomes a moody teenager I’ll understand - just so long as he doesn’t become a coop terrorist!
Here's a better pic 20220127_084921.jpg

It is interesting, isn't it? I have a rooster who is half silkie so he's pretty small. I had an Easter egger cockerel last year who was easily twice his size but little Paco beat his butt! I ended up processing that other cockerel because he tried to attack me and my son so I just have Paco now. But he grew up in a flock with a bunch of ladies to keep him in his place and he has showed zero signs of aggression. He's just about a year old now. View attachment 2974340

Oh look at him! Gorgeous tiny boy!
I’ve seen Tarzan give Eagle a few swift pecks now and then and I can kind of see how being small might have its advantages. All the squishy bits are at head height for him!
I don’t think Tarzan knows he is smaller, anyway. The way he walks around with his chest puffed out you’d think he was 6 feet tall!

Here’s his teeny little adorable crow

Back
Top Bottom