When will she lay after moving?

your_pal_skip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Boise
I bought a buff orpington hen a couple of days ago, her name is Don Johnson and she's just under a year old. I wanted a laying hen around to hold me over until my chicks are big enough to make themselves useful. Don Johnson was sold because the rest of the flock she was with were picking at her comb, and before I got her she had taken to just hiding in a nest box all day every day. She was broody, but that broke immediately after I brought her home. She's in sort of rough shape, but she is walking around eating and drinking and taking treats. My question is, when will she start to lay again? Am I looking at a couple more days of waiting? A couple of weeks? Months?

If she thinks she can hold out on me more than two weeks she's got another thing coming, and that thing is chef Paul Prudhomme's cajun rub.

Our hens took a couple of weeks off after moving in, then a couple of weeks off again after a new group joined th flock. Considering her previous stressful situation and slightly worn condition, I would give her that couple of weeks before you give up on her! I strongly suspect that she will become a productive member of society.

Who named a hen Don Johnson?
tongue.png

I agree with wateboe - give her a little time, and you should be happy with her. Orpies lay very well as a rule, so unless they gave you an old lady...

I have a friend who has a single house chicken left in her flock and she's offered to take Don Johnson in for a week or two until the chicks are big enough to join her in the coop. After a couple of weeks I'll bring Don Johnson home for good, and maybe bring home the lone silkie if one of my chicks turns out to be a boy (as I am starting to suspect).

Hopefully the company of another super mellow bird will make both of the lone chickens happier and Don Johnson will be a little more comfortable while she heals up.

The orp got named Don Johnson because my boyfriend is going through a Miami Vice phase, and since I already named one chick Tuff Stuff I couldn't veto any name for being too ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom