When will they crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wefroggy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. wefroggy

wefroggy Songster

I have 15 week old RIR's and DE's and no crowing yet. Any idea when that will happen? I also have a Egyptian Fayomous (SP) that crows all the time. I know that the less dominant roosters may not crow, but the DE's sure act like they want to be dominant.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    wow! thats a long time for them not t crow. Ive had a rooster crow at 5 weeks. LOL man it was funny [​IMG]

3. momof4boys

momof4boys In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    battle ground, WA
    My salmon faverolle rooster just started at 18 weeks. I didn't know if he ever would....he's kinda timid and all. I've heard that some can be pretty old before they start...even up to a year. But I also have a wellsummer rooster crowing at 9 weeks.....more like croaking. [​IMG]

4. Jetlander

Jetlander In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    My Silver Laced Wyandottes started crowing at 13 weeks. What it really comes down to is 'nature', she takes time and makes it her own. They will crow when they are ready. Believe me, it is like teaching a child to talk. We spend the first few years teaching them to say something, and then spend the next 15-18 years trying to shut them up. ;o)

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

Quote:[​IMG]

6. embkm

embkm Songster

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    My 13.5 week old EE roo hasn't crowed yet, neither has the 13.5 week old OEGB roo. And the 13.5 week old silkie that is questionable hasn't crowed either, so I'm still holding out hope she's really a she.

7. wefroggy

wefroggy Songster

I don't even know why I am so anxious to hear them crow, maybe to help me decide who stays and who goes. So I guess patience is required.

8. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

Don't get me wrong. I want to hear my first crow too. Rusty, the one in my lap in the avatar is hopefully a boy but I won't be sure until I hear him sing.

9. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    I have a 20 week old Rhode Island Red Rooster that does not crow. He doesn't do the rooster thing either. He is the only male in the flock. The kids have named him Neal Patrick Harris.

Maybe he is just slow.

Rufus

10. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had my rooster until he was 16 weeks and he still hadn't started crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: