When will they go in at night?

We found having a light in the coop at night on a timer helps them to know it's a safe place in the coop when it gets dark out. I think they find it kinda scary to walk into a dark coop when it's dark outside, to them they don't know if something is hiding in there to get them. Ours were about 6 weeks old when they put themselves to bed, they we just close the coop door before we go to bed.

All of my 4 wk olds go in except the two roos.
barnie.gif
When I go to get them in everyone else runs out
barnie.gif
I know this will change in a few weeks but sometimes it is no fun for an old woman to chase chicks at 9pm in a robe and pj's
gig.gif
Gloria Jean

We kept our chicken in our new coop for about 3 weeks before letting them out yesterday. First night we have to herd most of them back, but 2 just refuse to go in. We locked up anyway. Next morning, they (the 2 left out) were waiting by the coop side. Tonight all went in by themselves except 1 that prefer to roost on the tree and just refuse to go in. Again we just lock up. It's and adult male, and guess it can fend for himself.

I got mine when they were 8 wks old. I brought them home with 2 others I got the same day that were 2 yrs. old. The chicks did not know how to roost, I was told. However when night time came, I was pleasantly surprised to find all of them roosting. The young ones learned from the older ones. now if I could just keep the young ones out of the nesting boxes during the day. They are now 13weeks old. too old to be in the nesting boxes if you ask me.

I'm not sure...my chicks were in the brooder at that age. I moved them and the heat lamp out to the chicken coop at 5 weeks. I would suggest keeping a brooder in the chicken coop for a while, and keeping the chicks in the brooder. After a couple weeks, try again. Those chicks need some more time to mature before they can be expected to roost and manage themselves.

Back
Top Bottom