When will they lay?

19marvinn

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
I am anxiously awaiting my first egg. These girls are 20 weeks old today. Anyone have a rough estimate as to when they'll plop their first one? I have Barred rocks, Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, and Cream legbars.

P.S. one squatted for me while I was taking the pictures!

With the days still getting shorter it's really hard to predict when they will lay. If they don't lay soon they'll probably wait until February or so when the days start to get longer. My pullets hatched in February were started laying in July and August. The pullets hatched in June were not laying when I left Montana. I expect to get a phone call in February or March to tell me they've begun to lay.

All my young ladies have started laying around the 20-22 week mark, even with the shorter days. Hopefully yours will soon, too! Doesn't look or sound like they're far from it.

Boy, they sure look ready!
Do you free range?

You could check their pelvic points:

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Back
Top Bottom