When Will They Lay?

Any day now! I have a mixed flock, and some of the same breeds (Buff Orpington and wyandottes). I also have Easter Eggers, Sapphire Gems, and Silkies. My gems were the first to lay but everyone else soon followed.

My first egg was followed by 2 eggs on the second day, and by the end of the first week we were getting 6 eggs a day. Almost like they see another chicken lay an egg and they decide to join in. I would put a ceramic egg or a few golf balls or something of the sort in each nest box. This will get them curious & into the boxes. It will also encourage them to lay in the boxes versus somewhere else.

Lastly, each chicken is still an individual and the day/age they choose to start laying will vary. My two EEs were the same age. One started laying a light green egg at 20 weeks. I was beginning to think my other EE was laying a brown egg because I wasn't seeing any other green or blue eggs - until BAM... at 28 weeks all the sudden I am getting a bright blue egg almost daily! My point is 2 chickens of the same breed and age started laying 8 weeks apart, so there really is no firm date or age to go by!

Any day now! I have a mixed flock, and some of the same breeds (Buff Orpington and wyandottes). I also have Easter Eggers, Sapphire Gems, and Silkies. My gems were the first to lay but everyone else soon followed.

My first egg was followed by 2 eggs on the second day, and by the end of the first week we were getting 6 eggs a day. Almost like they see another chicken lay an egg and they decide to join in. I would put a ceramic egg or a few golf balls or something of the sort in each nest box. This will get them curious & into the boxes. It will also encourage them to lay in the boxes versus somewhere else.

Lastly, each chicken is still an individual and the day/age they choose to start laying will vary. My two EEs were the same age. One started laying a light green egg at 20 weeks. I was beginning to think my other EE was laying a brown egg because I wasn't seeing any other green or blue eggs - until BAM... at 28 weeks all the sudden I am getting a bright blue egg almost daily! My point is 2 chickens of the same breed and age started laying 8 weeks apart, so there really is no firm date or age to go by!

Yeah that’s very true they are all very different. I have put in some golf balls, such a great trick. They just don’t seem that interested in the boxes is that normal? Some of the hens hips bones are 1 1/2 fingers to 2 fingers in a few. So I always thought that meant close to laying as well. I’m just shocked none are really scratching around in the boxes or sitting in them.

I only noticed that they had been in the nest boxes maybe a week prior to getting my eggs. All the sudden the nests had been "arranged" to look like an actual birds nest.

You may have already answered this, but, do your birds free range at all? Is it possible they are laying somewhere else of their own choosing?

I only noticed that they had been in the nest boxes maybe a week prior to getting my eggs. All the sudden the nests had been "arranged" to look like an actual birds nest.

You may have already answered this, but, do your birds free range at all? Is it possible they are laying somewhere else of their own choosing?

No they don’t. I wish but they get into the barn too much and destroy feed bags and flowers lol

FINALLY!!! Got my first egg 3 days ago and another the next day! Both were on the floor though. Then today I got two and they were in the nest boxes! Not sure who laid them I’d guess salmon Faverolles or Delawares they seem to hang out in the coop the most.

Back
Top Bottom