When will they lay???

Do they abide by my desire to have eggs? ;) just kidding of course but that is true, they don’t have calendars. I’m in Colorado so we have fairly long days and definitely a lot of sunlight right now.
Chickens don't abide calendars. and even within breeds, there are wide individual variations, plus the influence of daily light levels, and the conditions in which they are kept. "Start of Lay" is more like a strong suggestion, with a broad range of typical. Usually, I'll offer a four week period of "probably" when opining. My Dark Brahma were right around 7 months (29 weeks +) when they started, even though it was winter and the daily light levels were pretty dang low (for us - but I'm closer to the equator than most of the United States). 28-32 weeks is the period I often give for them. I would not have been terribly surprised it they had held off longer.

I've not had any personal experience with the other breeds you mentioned - but your Brahma? After the winter solstice would not be surprisingsire to have

Today I got my first jumbo egg from my sapphire gem pulled at 17 weeks old. Must be doing something right. Questions anyone ask away.

Attachments

• 20210730_150950.jpg
    20210730_150950.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2
Today I got my first jumbo egg from my sapphire gem pulled at 17 weeks old. Must be doing something right. Questions anyone ask away.
Wow! I can’t wait!!! Did you do anything special that you think made that happen? Cayenne in the water, ceramic eggs… etc

Wow! I can’t wait!!! Did you do anything special that you think made that happen? Cayenne in the water, ceramic eggs… etc
I followed Youtube there are several people who explain how to get eggs. No red pepper although I was told the Amish do it. No ceramic eggs. I only got the one jumbo so far. I have 8 chickens and today I got 5 eggs...Yesterday I got 3 eggs. I do the purina layer crushed food. Purina claims to have the right stuff in it. You begin to get small eggs. My hens are not free range. They have a coop and a run. They go to bed at 10PM so they get artificial light when it gets dark. I give a little extra oyster shells but I don't like it because the pieces are large. I feed them breakfest which is 2 scrambled eggs for the 8. They get dinner at 8pm. This is all new to me but so far everything is working out fine.

Back
Top Bottom