When Will They Lay?

Firearia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I have six orpington hens and two EEs and I was wondering when they would lay. The orps were born June the 5th, and the EEs were born May 5th. I was thinking 2-4 weeks for the EEs and 4-8 for the orps, help?
hmm.png

Last edited:
Willow's Meadow :

To lay eggs?????? They will start at 20 weeks old. lol

So, that means I'm right with the predictions for the EEs? Because I think they're around 18 weeks old, unless my math is failing me. That's what I get for having math next semester.
tongue.png

yes, firearia, I think your predictions are correct! Anywhere from 18 weeks to 25 weeks!!! My pullets were born April 24th and they still aren't laying, but I think they're getting close! Red combs and wattles. No egg song though, how about yours?

It depends a lot on the pullet when they will start laying. General rule of thumb is around 20 weeks depending on breed but it can vary greatly in individual chickens. I would watch more for the signs that they are getting ready to lay than relying on an age. My wyandottes are around 17 weeks now and I am seeing their combs and wattles getting bigger and they are getting more red in the face as well. None of them have sung the egg song or squatted (I know not all chickens do this I am just looking for any sign
wink.png
) but they have become much friendlier than before. Now my Ameraucanas are supposedly two months older than the wyandottes and they look further behind in being close to laying. There are a few differences though. The Ams are from a breeder so they are more likely to lay later and the others are hatchery stock. I know my wyandottes have had great nutrition since they were a month old and I am not sure if the Ams were getting enough protien. They shot up like weeds the first few weeks I had them (I got them as supposedly six month olds). Lastly, I am not positive that they are actually as old as the woman said they were. So a lot of things can affect when they actually lay.

Quote:
My one EE definitely has a redder comb and redder face. My orp gals have shot up on growth as well, way bigger combs and wattles coming in. I have one girl though with like hardly any developpement, I feel kind of bad for her even though she's a big meanie.
lol.png
I'm not quite sure what the egg song sounds like, but I'm pretty sure not quite yet! We can wait together! xD

Quote:
Mine are definitely getting more red in the face, especially that one EE like I stated above. The orps I think are catching up to the EEs though. Also, is it true the hen with the bigger wattles and/or comb will lay first?

breezy's girls :

EGG SONG!? Is that what that is??!! I was calling it 'purrrrring'. I love it!

xD Haha, I have one chicken that purrs when you pet her. It's very funny.​

I have four different breeds of chickens. All born the same day and all started laying eggs this week. Light Brahmas, White Leghorns, Buff Orps and Red Sexlinks... 24 weeks yesterday. I had been hoping for eggs at 20 weeks from all the testimonies others have shared, but nope 24 weeks.

They will lay after their combs turn bright red and you will see them acting funny, The rooster if you have one will be breeding with them. I heard eggsong and found my first egg the next am - It looked like a bantam egg and they eggs increased in size over the next year - now they are HUGE eggs! some of my chickens did not start laying until 34 weeks and others a little sooner. My Barred rock was 21 weeks old. She layed the first egg.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom