WHEN will they start laying? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbiamama, Jun 14, 2009.

1. suburbiamama

suburbiamama In the Brooder

May 13, 2009
    We adopted six 10-month-old hens one week ago and so far only the Ameracauna is laying regularly (unless someone else is also mysteriously laying green eggs). Someone else has laid 3 shell-less eggs. Since increasing oyster shell, giving cottage cheese, no eggs whatsoever (except the green ones). Is there anything else we can do, besides wait?? They supposedly all laid 3-5x/week at former home. How long can a transition take? Just want to be sure we;re doing everything we can. Thanks!

p.s. I've hunted through the bushes/anywhere else they might be laying, haven't found any, and we've been outside with them the whole time they're free-ranging so far.

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sometimes after a move or big change, it can take up to a month to start laying again. I got a hen once, it laid an egg the first day, then not again for a month, and it would lay the shell less ones, rubber eggs i called it. But after a month, she was laying again.
    What kind of chickens are the others?
    Good luck!

3. suburbiamama

May 13, 2009
    A month--ok, phew. I just need to relax, I think [​IMG] The others are 1 RI Red, 1 Lakenvelder, 1 Wellsummer, 1 Silver-laced Wyandotte (who I think is the rubber-egg layer), and 1 black/green girl with a big comb, white ears and blue legs...not sure what her breed is.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I agree w/ the other poster. Give them time. Once they start, you'll have lots of eggs!

5. suburbiamama

May 13, 2009
    Thanks! One week to the day and the rubber-egg layer was sitting on our first (well, HER first, give her credit where credit's due!) solid egg! Woohoo! And now they're all out in the yard enjoying watermelon [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. It could be a month or more before they start laying, maybe sooner. Chickens need time to adjust to changes. Be patient. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: