1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, May 26, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I am new at this and I am so excited about my chickens and getting eggs, I know it's early as my chickens are only 7 weeks old but when do they start laying? I have RIR, Dominiques, Delawares and EE's. Do they all start at the same age, or does it matter what breed they are? I have 4 nesting boxes and 11 chickens (not all hens) is that enough boxes? How many times a day do I need to check the boxes for eggs?
    Thanks.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    While it can vary widely, the breeds you mention are usually laying around 20-23 weeks of age, IF they are getting enough daylight (which yours will be when they get to that age). If they are maturing during the winter it can be a bit longer unless you add a light to the coop to extend the daylight hours a bit for them.

Watch for the combs and wattles to get really red, and the 'squat' when you pet them on the back - those are signs they are mature and will be laying soon.

My wyandottes and dominiques and BRs all started laying right at 20 weeks.

3. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    All I can say for sure is it won't be soon enough. [​IMG] Also, they won't start laying any faster with you constantly watching them (this I know from experience) [​IMG] After 3 years here the feeling of "Christmas comes daily to the henhouse" still hasn't worn off. [​IMG]

4. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    lol I currently have 9 nest boxes and they all use 1! I check my once a day, late after noon. 6 hens now and I get 4-6 eggs a day.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Our EE's began laying at around 21 - 22 weeks old last year (just over 4 months old).

You have more than enough nesting boxes (1 box per 4 hens). I check for eggs several times a day...but only because I'm home all day. Depending on the hours you are away from home, once or twice daily checks do just fine.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by