When will they start to lay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherTheMommy, Sep 24, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I have 12 hens that I got may 10th when they were a few days old. I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 white brahmas, 1 buff brahma, 1 holland, 1 silkie, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 australorp (i think shes black with a green tint), 1 welsummer, 1 RIR (I think?) and 1 white easter egger. When can i expect to see some eggs?

2. Tasha1981

Tasha1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Gonzales Louisiana
    I'm a week behind you. My girls are driving me crazy. Everything I've read said don't freak out until after 30 weeks. They will lay when they are ready. That easier said than done. I think I'm actually going CRAZY over here.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Some of these breeds (RIR, SLW, BO, australorp) should begin laying by the time they're 22 to 26 weeks old. Look for full, red combs and wattles. The other breeds may take longer.

Also, many pullets will crouch down when you approach them or try to pet them on the back. They tend to do this when they're within 1 to 2 weeks of laying. (This is a breeding position, so it indicates they are ready to mate.)

I have 3 black australorp and black australorp mix pullets that hatched out May 24. They probably won't start laying until mid- to late October at the earliest.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by