Where and how do I store the crickets?

empireranch

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Found a mealworm farm up the road - purchased a 1000 mealworms for $5 and also a 1000 crickets for $17. Where do I keep the crickets? They came in a cardboard box with air holes and some sliced carrots inside - what do I do with them now? How long will they live? BTW, I only have 7 (7 week old) chickens so it may take some time to use up the crickets....

We store ours in the leopard gecko.
smile.png

Seriously, just make sure they can't get out and put a couple of sliced potatoes in with them. That will provide all the food and moisture they need. Be sure and put them where the sound doesn't cause a problem. We've kept them that way for up to a week until they were all used.

yuckyuck.gif

big_smile.png
we store ours in our many lizards too...but while we are waiting for them to be served I have a rubbermaid tote (storage kind) that we keep large amounts in. cut some holes in the top of the lid for air flow. I have some dirt in there, paper towel tubes in there, crushed dog food, and paper towels. Every day they get misted with water. also make sure you make take some smooth packing tape and run a ring all around the sides, so they cant climb out. You may even get them to lay eggs if you keep the conditions good, and have your self a lil cricket farm
tongue2.gif

As long as you keep them fed and watered they should live for a few weeks, maybe a month depending on how big they are now.
Just a heads up, dont let them get loose in your house, they eat everything and are annoying as all get out!

They drown very easily, which is why people people mist them or give them a moist food to eat, instead of a bowl of water. It's been awhile, but I used to have lizards, too. I think I used a cotton ball in a small lid for water for them, too. Do people still do that these days?

I used to keep mine in covered 10 gallon aquaria. I also put in cardboard egg cartons, some potato halves and some Wheaties. Be sure to also have some water for them that they can't drown in. You can keep them there for well over a week and by that time you chickens will have devoured most of them. The most important thing is to have ventilation and keep the moisture down or they will stink.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
No kidding - the smell is awful..... Think we will stick with just the mealworms after this!

Back
Top Bottom