where and what to order??

Jster

Songster
12 Years
Dec 11, 2007
I was hoping to get a good mix of chickies locally, but it seems that most feed stores only have some RIR/red sexlinks or are out (for the season! Guess things move fast here in FL!) So...I convinced DH we should order and work hard rehoming the extras as they grow (I don't anticipate it being too difficult...we've had a lot of interest from friends).

So...where to order from? Ideal? Welp? McMurray? I have to admit, the stories of illnesses from Ideal and McMurray have me worried a bit. Are there other places to look at?

Also...we plan on ordering a variety, but I was wondering if bantams can ship with standard chicks, or would they get trampled? the kids want a bantam or two. I also worry about ending up with a bantam rooster...what to do then?!?!

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Most hatcheries do sell with okay results....I think some order way too early and are having problems with shipped chicks....my opinion....You can always advertise here in the buy/sell/trade section of BYC...there are alot of people from FL that have birds....might find someone close to you with what you are looking for...

I ordered from ideal. Havent ordered from a hatchery before... but I chose Ideal due to all the good things I've been hearing about them. If you want to order a variety of chicks, Ideal sells about every variety in the book! My chicks will be shipped out next week... so we'll see what happens. You can buy bargain bags or assorted types of chickens. Just depends on what all you want.
Ideal also has great prices!
Good luck!

I also worry about ending up with a bantam rooster...what to do then?!?!

Even on the standards you run the risk of getting roo's. Out of our 10 we had two boys. One is just terrific and is a wonderful addition to our little flock. The otehr was beating up everyone and had Sigmind's (the roo we kept) comb bleeding pretty bad. We re-homed him (with no trouble) and things have been beautiful since. Oh, my babies came from My Pet Chicken. I don't know what everyone else thinks about them, but their customer service is wonderful and the chicks were beautiful and healthy.​

I received my order of 30 chicks from Welp Hatchery the last of February. All the chicks are doing just fine. I am very satisfied with them. But I do think that shipping has to be hard on the chicks. I think if you can find what you want close to you, it's better.

Back
Top Bottom