Where are my chickens coming from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by buckabucka, Jan 23, 2010.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I am soon to order day-old chicks for the first time. I do not need show-quality birds, just healthy, and I'd like a large variety. It seems wise to order from a hatchery nearby (relatively speaking). I've been looking at My Pet Chicken, which has a huge variety, including the standard light brahmas that interest me.
    I recently read here that all MPC's chicks are dropped shipped from Meyer Hatchery, and that it is cheaper to buy them directly from Meyer's. However, Meyer does not have standard light brahmas. Where does MPC get them? It seems unlikely that they could get chicks from more than one source (due to time and bio-security issues). Does Meyer hatch brahmas for sale at MPC only? Does anyone know how this works?
    I appreciate anyone's insight on this!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing they get them from more than one hatchery.

3. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Meyer doesn't have all the breeds available on their website. Call and ask if they have a particular breed available.

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks! I'll try that.

5. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    Buckabucka, are you in Fairfield, California? If so, I live ny SF and I order my chicks from www.welphatchery.com/ and all chicks arrive fine and healthy, never have had 1 death.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by