Where are my ducks?

Quote: I certainly will if they return. I've looked online at several sites just to see what the experience of folks with ponds has been with the comings and goings of waterfowl but have found virtually nothing posted. Most information out there is about captive ducks or duck hunting.

It's hard to say. With minimal human contact, I would think that it's possible they could fly off for the winter and return later. Predators are a real possibility, however. We have a fox that is living in an overgrown hedge about 200 yards from my yard and coop. This summer, I had 14 adult mallards. By November, we were down to 2 because of the fox. Foxes are sneaky, brave, and have no problems camping out near a readily available food source, even if it is what us humans would think is uncomfortably close to human activity. My kids play outside all the time, and they see this brazen fox sneaking around our property at least once a week (however, this hedge in which the fox lives is NOT our property--hence the reason I haven't been able to do much to eliminate the threat). I am, however, currently exploring options for permanent but humane removal.

They're BACK! After being gone six or seven weeks they came back...well, minus one drake. Before they all flew away early in December they appeared to be vying for mates, flying in long loops over the property and swooping low over the pool. The last day I saw them one drake was separated from the other drake and ducks - as if banished to the other end of the pool by them. The drakes had been doing some wrangling that looked like neck wrestling the week before. I suppose the banished one was the "loser". I assume he found a new home (and perhaps a mate) and may stay gone while the other three have returned to their "home". I hadn't expected them back so soon but was delighted to see them. They are more standoffish today than they'd been previously.

They're BACK! After being gone six or seven weeks they came back...well, minus one drake. Before they all flew away early in December they appeared to be vying for mates, flying in long loops over the property and swooping low over the pool. The last day I saw them one drake was separated from the other drake and ducks - as if banished to the other end of the pool by them. The drakes had been doing some wrangling that looked like neck wrestling the week before. I suppose the banished one was the "loser". I assume he found a new home (and perhaps a mate) and may stay gone while the other three have returned to their "home". I hadn't expected them back so soon but was delighted to see them. They are more standoffish today than they'd been previously.
That's awesome very happy for you, they look to be in good health too. might see some ducklings this spring.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom