Where are the eggs!

Designer chic

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
JACKSON, MS
I have 7 pullets that are 24 weeks old and still no eggs. 4 are Bantams, 2 Easter eggers and 1 buff orpington. I blocked off my nesting boxes with chicken wire for now because they were roosting in there at night. I have a 30 x 30 completely fenced off area for them to roam and the coop is inside the run. Any advice? I just bought some layer food to start using and slowing mixing in with the chick starter.

I dont know if you already did it, put a roosting bar higher than the nestboxes. This is the reason why they go sleep in the nests. Put some golf balls in your nests to make them believe that its real eggs, they will understand that it the place to lay eggs.

Try those 2 things and remove the chicken wire from the nests boxes. You might need to go physically put your flock on the roosting bar at night the first few days so they will understand that its there that they will sleep.

I did the same things and now i got eggs and clean nests boxes!!!

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Feeding them layers feed should help. One of my hens is about the same age as yours. We believe she laid one egg a couple of weeks ago. It was eaten up by the other hens, I think it was soft shelled. I was informed that she may hold off regular egg laying until around January. Just the same, I keep feeding layer crumbles and crushed egg shells. I also have a wooden egg in her coop.

Best wishes to you!

Feeding them layers feed should help. One of my hens is about the same age as yours. We believe she laid one egg a couple of weeks ago. It was eaten up by the other hens, I think it was soft shelled. I was informed that she may hold off regular egg laying until around January. Just the same, I keep feeding layer crumbles and crushed egg shells. I also have a wooden egg in her coop.
Best wishes to you!
Thanks so much. I raised the roosting pole a few weeks back and also added plastic eggs to the nesting boxes. Nothing else to do I guess but wait.

Back
Top Bottom