Where are you getting fertile eggs?

new2chickenlife

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Where is the best place to get fertile eggs? and will I end up with lots of roosters? I am assuming that it is OK from what I have read to mix the eggs(meaning a variety of kinds). We have a broody hen that I have moved tonight to her own little nesting box on top of plastic eggs. So far she has stayed on them. we have noticed that she has been sleeping in the nesting box for almost 2 weeks.

I've never had a broody but at this point it might be better just to sick some chicks under her next week at the three week mark.

I have my own hatching eggs here but I do buy from some of the Bycers, On the Buy, Trade, Sell thread. You will get Rooster's as well as pullets from the eggs most likely, but there is just no way to pick the eggs that have pullets in them. LOL The average of Roosters to Pullets is I would say about 50/50 but could be any combination or number of one or the other. and you can mix any type of chicken eggs the hens don't care they will raise them all like they were their own.
frow.gif
Sandy

Last edited:
I am pretty new at this myself but I read that some broodies quit before the job is done so the last time mine went broody I let her sit for the full 21 days before I busted her up (is that what it's called?) Anyway now she is sitting on fertile eggs and I have two more sitting but they will have to prove there worth before they get fertile eggs. If they sit the full time I'll probably get some chicks at tractor supply to stick under them for all their effort.

Good Idea!

I am pretty new at this myself but I read that some broodies quit before the job is done so the last time mine went broody I let her sit for the full 21 days before I busted her up (is that what it's called?) Anyway now she is sitting on fertile eggs and I have two more sitting but they will have to prove there worth before they get fertile eggs. If they sit the full time I'll probably get some chicks at tractor supply to stick under them for all their effort.

Back
Top Bottom