Where can I add more ventilation in my coop? Pics included.

Brandon L

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Hi everyone.

I would like to ventilate my coop a bit more before winter hits. Northern Minnesota here.

Attached are pictures of my coop, which houses 30 wonderful birds. I thought about putting in a roof vent or two, but with the way my coop is set up, the drafts from the vents would hit the chickens on their roost.

I'm kind of flummoxed here. Where is the best spot to add more ventilation? The rafters are slightly drafty as is, but this winter my chickens are going to be snug as a bug in a rug, and I want them to be healthy. Any advice for this would be wonderful. Thank you!

dfrherh

It's kind of hard to tell much from the pics. But I'll say they don't need to ne snug, they need to be well ventilated, or you will have frostbitten combs and wattles. It's best for the ventilation to be at a high spot because the air that needs to exchange out is warm from their body heat -- and humid, and full of ammonia. If that is a smaller coop, say 4' tall, it is very difficult to ventilate well. Please read the article on ventilation linked in my signature line. It was written by a Canadian member several years ago, and is well known here.

Hi Judy.

Those pictures are my entire coop, roof line included. The coop roof is slanted, as it's attached to a two car garage. On the shorter side of the coop, the roof is about 4 1/2 feet tall. On the tall side, where the roost is located, It's 7-8 feet tall. You can see both sides in my pictures.

I would certainly like to add ventilation for them, but am unsure where to put it. I have read the articles, and mostly come up with a confused look on my face. How do I ventilate and block drafts at the same time?

Any more advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Hi Judy.

Those pictures are my entire coop, roof line included. The coop roof is slanted, as it's attached to a two car garage. On the shorter side of the coop, the roof is about 4 1/2 feet tall. On the tall side, where the roost is located, It's 7-8 feet tall. You can see both sides in my pictures.

I would certainly like to add ventilation for them, but am unsure where to put it. I have read the articles, and mostly come up with a confused look on my face. How do I ventilate and block drafts at the same time?

Any more advice is welcome.

Thank you.
I see what your problem is....your 8' wall sits up against the garage....right? So the only walls you can punch window/ventilation in would be along that 4-1/2' wall or front to back, right? You do have a dilemma then, because your roosting bars are against that 8' wall. I understand your frustration for sure. What you could do is make sure your roosting bar setup is all the way down on the one end and then you could punch a window at the other end. One thing you need to avoid is any wind blowing directly at them. Wishing you well in your preps for winter!

Exactly!

I would move the roost to one side of the coop, but I have 30 birds, and they use all of that space up. Not enough room for that, unfortunately.

Would adding a roof vent or two be sufficient?

Exactly!

I would move the roost to one side of the coop, but I have 30 birds, and they use all of that space up. Not enough room for that, unfortunately.

Would adding a roof vent or two be sufficient?
Gee, I really don't think so. But you said something that has my interest...you have 30 birds in there?? Man, that's a lot of birds in that space. What is the length/width of that space? If it's what I think it is, you're jamming 30 birds into pretty tight quarters, add to that this winter's snow/cold.....yeah, you've got some re-thinking to do I'm afraid.
hide.gif

It's about 8'x30'. It's a lot longer than it is wide. I've had them for two years now and they're happy and healthy. They free range when we are at home.

Well, then I'd say move those roost bar ladder thingies all the way down to the end opposite the doorway, and drop in a real small window or two opposite-and-down from the roosts. I'd also think about putting one up and to the right of the doorway. Here's the small window I put in my coop...man, it worked perfect! Just an idea:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHED-WINDOW...TE-/121382662171?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

I researched the internet and this guy has the absolute lowest price!

What I did was installed it 'sideways' so it's like a slider window. I needed to do it this way so it was shorter....best part on this seller is it's FREE shipping...woot! My package arrived safe and it was packaged REAL GOOD.

Let us know what you decide to do!!
caf.gif

Last edited:
Well, then I'd say move those roost bar ladder thingies all the way down to the end opposite the doorway, and drop in a real small window or two opposite-and-down from the roosts. I'd also think about putting one up and to the right of the doorway. Here's the small window I put in my coop...man, it worked perfect! Just an idea:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHED-WINDOW...TE-/121382662171?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

I researched the internet and this guy has the absolute lowest price!

What I did was installed it 'sideways' so it's like a slider window. I needed to do it this way so it was shorter....best part on this seller is it's FREE shipping...woot! My package arrived safe and it was packaged REAL GOOD.

Let us know what you decide to do!!
caf.gif
@iwiw60 did you ever post pics of your coop?? and that window install?

Back
Top Bottom