Where can I brood new chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommyoftwo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    I went to the feed store today to get feed for my older chicken and noticed they had the chicks I wanted...now I have to figure out where I can put them so they don't freeze. My coop is out of the question, no heat. I have a garage but it doesn't have heat but can use a getting lamp. Or inside my tiny house with 8 people dogs, cats. Can they go into the garage if I put them in a nice warm wooden brooder?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    As long as the temp is warm enough for them. They will require a heat lamp around 95 for the first week or so, then slowly decrease over the weeks until they feather out. A sturdy wire cover will ensure they are safe also. How about a large plastic tote bin with hole in the top??

3. DomesticDiva12

DomesticDiva12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I keep ours in the house in an old rabbit/guinea pig cage with a heat lamp for the first week or two (until they get messy LOL ) then I move them to our basement for a little bit depending on the weather. We're in northern WI and so far it's still below zero daily so who knows when they will be able to go outside this year! Once daytime highs are 50 or so I'll put them in the garage with a heatlamp until nighttime temps are 45-50 and then they go in the coop. I run an extension cord back there (like I do for their heated waterer in the winter) for the heat lamp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by