Where can I buy a goose friend for our lonely goose in Pennsylvania?

counterWULF

Songster
Aug 19, 2018
I know we've had chicks sent to us in the mail, and both experiences were positive. Where do I look for geese to buy? I've read on this forum where a lone goose needs another goose "friend" as ducks and chickens are not replacements. Our goose DOES go everywhere on the property with our eight ducks, but we want to add at least one more goose. Our goose just started laying eggs yesterday, so now we know she is a female. She is a Canada goose who is wild and free to leave at any time. I posted her story yesterday in another thread. And we know she might never leave, so we don't want her to be lonely and never have another goose friend. Where are the best and most reputable places to buy geese? I'm assuming we need to get babies for acclimation reasons like with other animals I've studied, but you guys are the experts. So if there is an older rescue goose or juvenile, we'd be OK with that too. Our goose is under 2 years old. Should we add males or females? We don't want them making more geese, but I'll assume it's similar to how we handle our hens and roosters and just remove the eggs daily so they don't lay on them. I know with certain species (dogs, wolves), two females will fight to the death sometimes based on the breed, so this is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for helping!

I am in Franklin PA and looking to find homes for a few geese. I will have goslings in a few weeks, too. My geese are American Buffs, so not too big. I don't think it will matter what sex you get for your goose, as long as you get one. They do so much better with another one around.
There are several hatcheries that have geese, but only this time of year. I have ordered from Cackle, Ideal, Sandhill Preservation, and Welp and I think they all have geese. Metzger (?)Metzer(?) has waterfowl.

I am in Franklin PA and looking to find homes for a few geese. I will have goslings in a few weeks, too. My geese are American Buffs, so not too big. I don't think it will matter what sex you get for your goose, as long as you get one. They do so much better with another one around.
There are several hatcheries that have geese, but only this time of year. I have ordered from Cackle, Ideal, Sandhill Preservation, and Welp and I think they all have geese. Metzger (?)Metzer(?) has waterfowl.
Hello to Franklin from Greenville (waves)! I have super Africans currently but American Buffs are on my wishlist!

OP: I'm not sure where you are in PA, but I just sold a couple of geese through a local agriculture site on Facebook (not the general marketplace) perhaps just post asking about finding a goose. Someone may have an extra bird they were wondering what to do with.

There is a farm near Edinboro that posts available geese on craigslist regularly.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the sex or age of the new bird as long as you are only adding a single one, there's not much for 2 females, or a pair, to fight about.
Hope you find your bird!

Hello to Franklin from Greenville (waves)! I have super Africans currently but American Buffs are on my wishlist!

OP: I'm not sure where you are in PA, but I just sold a couple of geese through a local agriculture site on Facebook (not the general marketplace) perhaps just post asking about finding a goose. Someone may have an extra bird they were wondering what to do with.

There is a farm near Edinboro that posts available geese on craigslist regularly.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the sex or age of the new bird as long as you are only adding a single one, there's not much for 2 females, or a pair, to fight about.
Hope you find your bird!

Thanks for writing. I'll write more when I can, but for now, just wanted to mention we live surrounded by many Amish farms here in Central PA. Love the peace and quiet of the country now that I retired from the military.

Sending you an IM.

Here's another question. I found a local farm who sells geese. They seem to only have male Pilgrim goslings available. Would males from a different species of goose mate with our goose? We'd prefer adding another female to keep the eggs from being fertilized, as we prefer to not eat fertilized eggs. Just our preference! If the male would not attempt to breed with our female, then we can add a boy!

Here's another question. I found a local farm who sells geese. They seem to only have male Pilgrim goslings available. Would males from a different species of goose mate with our goose? We'd prefer adding another female to keep the eggs from being fertilized, as we prefer to not eat fertilized eggs. Just our preference! If the male would not attempt to breed with our female, then we can add a boy!

It doesn't matter the breed if its a male and a female they will mate, if you don't want to eat fertile geese eggs you should get a female goose rather than a male goose. Unfortunately unlike other livestock such as sheep cows and goats you cant neuter a male bird.

Back
Top Bottom