Where can I buy meat birds

I am using The Poultry Hatchery out of Fayette New York. They are a real pleasure to deal with and do both Freedom rangers and CRX so you just have to decide what you want. Really though choice of hatchery is more dependent on where you are since you should find one fairly close to you.

If you want 25 or more, order them online from the closest hatchery to you. If you only want a few, a feed store or Craigslist.org would be a good place to look.

I have Red Rangers coming from Murray McMurray on the 13th. There is a 15 chick minimum, but they don't all have to be meat birds. Last time I looked, some of the meat birds weren't available till later in June. My Cornish X that I am finishing up processing this coming weekend came from Tractor Supply during Chick Days. They are 9 weeks old. Gotta finish them out this weekend to make room for the new meaties.

I've only bought cornish x at feed stores as I don't need 25+ at a time. I'm actually raising dual purpose for meat but wanted to fill the freezer up as it was getting empty so I got some cornish at TSC when I went for some fosters for a broody that didn't hatch out many.

I've only bought cornish x at feed stores as I don't need 25+ at a time. I'm actually raising dual purpose for meat but wanted to fill the freezer up as it was getting empty so I got some cornish at TSC when I went for some fosters for a broody that didn't hatch out many.
My only experience with the meaties is with the CX that I got from TSC, but I did order 20 Red Rangers from McMurray because they are supposed to be good foragers for meaties. I figured why not take advantage of the greenery and insects. Also, I wanted something that would take a little longer so that I woudn't be butchering in the middle of summer.

I have copper marans that I am raising, and the roos will be used for meat....some of which I may caponize so I can keep longer till butchering to get some size. They are just over 5 weeks, and I have 5 roos, plus a broody copper maran with 10 eggs under her.

I think that 15 may be your minimum for an order.....but at McMurray, they wouldn't all have to be meat birds...you might find 3 or 4 DP chicks to get to 15,

We got ours from Myers Hatchery in PA. I don't think they had a minimum, and good selection of CX and other meat varieties as well as the layers.

I bought a dozen cornish cross at TSC. Three turned out to be regular White Rocks. You'll see those in the third picture. The rest are exactly as I expected. Freezer camp starts tomorrow. These are now eight weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom