Where can I find a person to do a necropsy in Florida?

Maxx, call it a necropsy. An autopsy is for people. Good luck, I hate to see you losing birds.

Things are getting worse now. We just had 2 die today. Please help me!!!! I emailed Gary Butcher at UF. Does anybody know of anybody that can do a necropsy in Floda?

Please!!!!! I am desperate!!!!!!!!! I don't want to loose anymore chickens!!!!!
hit.gif

It looks like Dr. Butcher is the right person to contact. They list avian necropsy as a service they can do. However, it is a Friday afternoon, and you probably won't hear anything back until Monday. Your email to the Poultry Extension folks and Dr. Butcher should contain as much clear information as possible, like the size of your flock, the specific symptoms you've seen, the number of birds dead,etc. You might also try calling. Even after hours, they may have recorded information regarding necropsy services on their outgoing message.

You will need to refrigerate (not freeze) the bird in a plastic bag as soon as possible after death to preserve it for necropsy.

Good Luck, and sorry to hear about your losses.
ed

CONTACT US

Gary D. Butcher, DVM, PhD
Professor, Extension - Avian Diseases
Large Animal Clinical Sciences

PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16 Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608-0125
(352) 392-2212 ext. 5695
Fax: (352) 392-3029

email: [email protected]

Poultry Veterinary Extension

Poultry veterinary extension provides technical support, education, and research programs to the Florida poultry industry and related avian industries. Activities include on farm visitations, poultry necropsy and sample evaluations (histopathology and serology), consultations, and publications. Efforts have been directed toward improving vaccination programs, teaching disease monitoring techniques, and promoting disease containment procedures. Educational programs are directed at promoting a better understanding of poultry disease prevention and control. Dr. Gary Butcher is the faculty coordinator for these programs.

Quote:
I got a email back from him about 30 min. ago. He said he has the flu so that is why he could not get back to me. Btw I got some information about a necropsy place in Kissimee (Florida).

Back
Top Bottom