Where can I find Keets...NOW?!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Connorrm, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So, I'm in a rush and bored...where can I find some keets? I'd like to get a jump start on them since there was a warm winter and the hurricane waters are still around. The mosquitos and ticks in the fall last year were unbelievable.

Any ideas!? Also, what's a good number to have to keep the bug population down on an acre and a half of lawn?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Guinea laying season hasn't officially kicked in for most of the US yet, only a few of us have young flocks that started breeding/laying early because of the mild weather. Most hatcheries have waiting lists for orders of keets. Check your local craigslist, feed/farm store bulletin boards for someone that may have some locally, and there's also a couple Guinea Fowl Breeders Lists online that are organized by state. You might get lucky, but sometime in April may be to soonest you find keets.

ETA:
    4-6 Guineas should easily take care of pest control on 1 1/2 acre, but they won't stick around on just 1/2 acre... unless they are penned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have some young adult guineas if you are interested...not too far from albany area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by