Where can I find Keets...NOW?!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Connorrm, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So, I'm in a rush and bored...where can I find some keets? I'd like to get a jump start on them since there was a warm winter and the hurricane waters are still around. The mosquitos and ticks in the fall last year were unbelievable.

Any ideas!? Also, what's a good number to have to keep the bug population down on an acre and a half of lawn?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    Guinea laying season hasn't officially kicked in for most of the US yet, only a few of us have young flocks that started breeding/laying early because of the mild weather. Most hatcheries have waiting lists for orders of keets. Check your local craigslist, feed/farm store bulletin boards for someone that may have some locally, and there's also a couple Guinea Fowl Breeders Lists online that are organized by state. You might get lucky, but sometime in April may be to soonest you find keets.

ETA:
    4-6 Guineas should easily take care of pest control on 1 1/2 acre, but they won't stick around on just 1/2 acre... unless they are penned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chirping

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have some young adult guineas if you are interested...not too far from albany area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by