Where can I find something like this??

Home depot, Lowes, Ace, TSC. They have various sizes. I would recommend one with a ceramic screw in, not plastic, in case it were to get really hot. If your making a brooder, don't get a 250 watt like a lot of sources say, they will burn your chicks up. 100 Watt will suffice.

My home depot did not have that type...but Tractor Supply did. And I like my 250 bulb (red one)....I just move it closer or further (or angled it) to adjust the temp as needed. My chicks are out in the coop now (5 wks. old), so I'm using that bulb still...it's been pretty cold in my area. Thankfully, they're just about fully feathered out...

I found a similar fixture with the ceramic base and metal guard at the local feed store. I found a red 100 watt red floodlight at an Ace Hardware. The whole outfit was less than $20.00.

It is currently keeping 23 day-old chicks nice and warm. As a bit of advice? Get two bulbs, you never know when one will burn out!

My brooder is outside in our chicken shed full of tiny chicks and getting close to freezing...a 250 watt bulb is keeping them toasty warm and not toasted .Inside my house when I had some in here a 90 watt light bulb did fine.Just make sure the socket is ceramic then they can handle any wattage..plastic can't go above the 150 watt size.

I have a 125 watt heat lamp with a guard .from Tsc
in my brooder thats is in the pantry with 5---- 2 weeks old ameraucans.
and 3 silkys and 1 silky a month old.

Last edited:
I found something better than heat lamps with guards. Go to sweeterheater.com they have a heater that is washable, hangs from the ceiling and will not cause a fire if used correctly. I sleep much better at night now because I got rid of those horrible wire caged bulbs. I love mine!

kick'n chick'n :

our walmart has lamps with the guard on them. cheaper than lowes,home depot,etc. they're in the hardware department.

Just be careful with those. Most are only rated for up to 150 watt bulb. Be sure you have one with the ceramic and rated for a 250 watt bulb, if that is what you intend to use. We get ours at our feed store.​

Back
Top Bottom