Where can i order show quality chicks?

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I want to get some chicks in the spring and really want them to be show quality. I want at least my Ameraucanas and silkies to be show quality. I also prefer them sexed.
I had heard of a breeder in NC that has show quality birds, but don't know the name.
Thanks 😊

I want to get some chicks in the spring and really want them to be show quality. I want at least my Ameraucanas and silkies to be show quality. I also prefer them sexed.
I had heard of a breeder in NC that has show quality birds, but don't know the name.
Thanks 😊
I would try to find a poultry show swap meet somewhere in your state/near you unless you want a specific breed that's where I got my show birds and they won everything lol 🤪

I would try to find a poultry show swap meet somewhere in your state/near you unless you want a specific breed that's where I got my show birds and they won everything lol 🤪
What a show swap meet? Sorry I have never shown before I want to in the future.
Thanks

What a show swap meet? Sorry I have never shown before I want to in the future.
Thanks
Its where a bunch of breeders bing birds for sale and you can look at them and stuff and buy some and sometimes there's a show going on at the same time and there is a lot of knowledgeable people there

Its where a bunch of breeders bing birds for sale and you can look at them and stuff and buy some and sometimes there's a show going on at the same time and there is a lot of knowledgeable people there
Oh thanks sounds like something I would like 👍

Or you could try the local fair.

You can't judge a chick on it's show quailty. You need to wait and see what feathers come in and where. Colors will change also. Just keep that in mind.
Ok thanks so if I buy eggs from show quality parents it doesn't mean they will be show quality? I was thinking of buying the show quality silkie eggs from mpc but I don't need that many and I really want bbs colors

Ok thanks so if I buy eggs from show quality parents it doesn't mean they will be show quality? I was thinking of buying the show quality silkie eggs from mpc but I don't need that many and I really want bbs colors
That would probably be your best bet, if you can meet the breeding stock and hand raise your chicks to assure health.

That would probably be your best bet, if you can meet the breeding stock and hand raise your chicks to assure health.
Okay only I can't meet the parents since they are on mpc, I prefer raising chicks since I will do it anyway but are there any hatcheries with show quality birds

are there any hatcheries with show quality birds
No and yes.

From any hatchery, most of the chickens will NOT be good show prospects.
From any hatchery, there is a chance of some chickens being show quality (meaning, not disqualified, and may have a chance of winning something.)

Most hatcheries have a few photos on their website of people who won prizes at the local fair, with birds bought as chicks from the hatchery. They do not say how common such birds are.

If you don't find any better source, you could order a large number of chicks from a hatchery, and plan to make a lot of chicken soup with the rejects. This works better if you are good at recognizing the right traits in the breeds you want. Some you can recognize pretty early (wrong number of toes on a Silkie) and some you may not be sure until the bird is completely grown up (body shape.)

Back
Top Bottom