Where can I test my birds?

Well it was outside of Texas.
Most states only test for two things for NPIP...neither of which are even 'popular/common' diseases...both of which are extremely deadly.

The common diseases are only tested for in a very few states right now.

Please get testing done with our state lab before you lose more birds and for sure before you sell or give away anything.

Most states only test for two things for NPIP...neither of which are even 'popular/common' diseases...both of which are extremely deadly.

The common diseases are only tested for in a very free states right now.

Please get testing done with our state lab before you lose more birds and for sure before you sell or give away anything.

Will they try to get involved if there is a reported disease?

The common diseases are only tested for in a very few states right now.

What diseases should I test for?

The scabs on the younger bird look like fowl pox to me. It is a virus carried by mosquitos in warm weather in summer and fall, that will go away on it’s own in about a month. There is no treatment. The Zoologix panel for 8 respiratory diseases is 3 swabs for $90.But you can only get tested for MG. I would try your state vet first. Even a local vet might know where to send some swabs for testing. But MG symptoms can be treated with Tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, or Denagard. You can find them online for pigeons.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

If it is MG, you might see it in another bird at some time. If you lose or cull a bird, your state vet can do a necropsy and test for MG. Most people close their flocks to new birds or to selling or giving away birds.

The scabs on the younger bird look like fowl pox to me. It is a virus that will go away on it’s own in about a month. There is no treatment. The Zoologix panel for 8 respiratory diseases is 3 swabs for $90.But you can only get tested for MG. I would try your state vet first. Even a local vet might know where to send some swabs for testing. But MG symptoms can be treated with Tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, or Denagard. You can find them online for pigeons.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

If it is MG, you might see it in another bird at some time. If you lose or cull a bird, your state vet can do a necropsy and test for MG. Most people close their flocks to new birds or to selling or giving away birds.
Okay, well I couldn’t afford a neocropsy and it’s too late now. If they test positive for MG they will likely be dog food.

Okay, well I couldn’t afford a neocropsy and it’s too late now. If they test positive for MG they will likely be dog food.
How many chickens do you have? Do you have other birds? Some people just close their flocks and medicate if there is a sick chicken. Others cull sick chickens. Everyone has to make a choice that suits them. MG can be passed through hatching eggs as well as feom a carrier.

How many chickens do you have? Do you have other birds? Some people just close their flocks and medicate if there is a sick chicken. Others cull sick chickens. Everyone has to make a choice that suits them. MG can be passed through hatching eggs as well as feom a carrier.

Yes, but when I found out they had scabs and such, I made it to where my main flock can’t even get close to that infected pen. All other chickens are about 50-100 feet away from the infected pen.

Usually in cold weather fowl pox will go away. It is primarily spread by mosquitoes, although dropped scabs can become dried out and powdery, and may be inhaled by others. Fowl pox, if that is what caused the scabs, is not something that stays in the flock. It goes away and birds who recover, are immune to it in the future.
It does not act the same way as MG, making your flock carriers. It is a seasonal disease in warm areas with mosquitoes.

Usually in cold weather fowl pox will go away. It is primarily spread by mosquitoes, although dropped scabs can become dried out and powdery, and may be inhaled by others. Fowl pox, if that is what caused the scabs, is not something that stays in the flock. It goes away and birds who recover, are immune to it in the future.
It does not act the same way as MG, making your flock carriers. It is a seasonal disease in warm areas with mosquitoes.

Hmmmm. They all look like they have fowl pox except the ones with bubbly/watery eyes. Maybe they were scratches their eyes and that’s why they look irritated/watery? Not sure about the warts though. I hope it’s fowl pox 🤞🏻I really do not want MG in my flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom