Where did my Blue Crested Blue Polish Hen Come from?

Purely Prairie Polish

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 21, 2011
Cooks Creek, Manitoba, Canada
Over the winter I keep my birds all together in one coop and come spring I group them according to breed and color. Well this March I was getting antsy to incubate and the weather still hadn't become nice enough here (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) to start separating my birds. My sister asked if I could incubate some of her buckeye eggs for her, and since the incubator wasn't full I tossed a couple of my polish eggs in since they had started laying already. Out of those eggs I got 2 splash pullets and a blue crested blue pullet.

I was wondering how I managed to get the Blue Crested Blue color so I can reproduce it again since they are so beautiful.

I had in my coop at the time Golden Laced Roos & Hens, Silver Laced Roos & Hens, White Crested Black Roos & Hens, Black Crested White Roos & Hens, a Splash hen and a Pair of Buff Laced.

I was thinking maybe it was the Black Crested White Roo and Splash Hen Pairing, but I really don't know. Any Thoughts?

Oh yah, and where did the splash hens come from since splash is a bb genotype and I don't have any blue's in my coop? Only White Crested Black (BB) and a Splash Hen (Bb). Where did the other b gene come from?

B is barring, not blue. Bl is blue and bl+ is not blue. Splash genotype is Bl/Bl; blue genotype is Bl/bl+.

I don't know the answer to the blue crested blue (vs white crested blue). Possibly from the black crested white roo and blue hen (is she blue or white crested?). As for the splash's father, it would seem that one of your birds is very dark blue, not black.

B is barring, not blue. Bl is blue and bl+ is not blue. Splash genotype is Bl/Bl; blue genotype is Bl/bl+.

Sorry, I realize that B and b are not the correct symbols, I was just using it as a simpler way of saying how can I get a splash chick when that only happens when you have two blue genes.

To get more technical:

If bl+bl+ is a black bird (in the case of WCB Polish), and Blbl+ is a blue bird, and BlBl is a splash bird, you must breed 2 Blbl (blue) birds or 2 BlBl (splash) birds to get splash offspring or a blue with a splash.

So with only WCB Hens & Roosters, and 1 splash hen how could I have got splash offspring, unless another color carries blue (Bl), or maybe they aren't even splash birds?

Quote:
This springs Pullet it Blue Crested Blue, though it's almost like a black crested blue since the crest and neck are darker...but that seems to be what the blue crested blue's looked like when I googled it. I don't know.

I guess it could be possible that there is a blue bird pretending to be a black, but they are pretty dark birds if that's the case.

Anyone know what happens if you breed a splash with a black crested white?

Quote:

This springs Pullet it Blue Crested Blue, though it's almost like a black crested blue since the crest and neck are darker...but that seems to be what the blue crested blue's looked like when I googled it. I don't know.

I guess it could be possible that there is a blue bird pretending to be a black, but they are pretty dark birds if that's the case.

Anyone know what happens if you breed a splash with a black crested white?

Birds that are genetically blue can be so dark they look black. I don;t remember the genotype for BCW.

Back
Top Bottom