where did my eggs go?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momahenTN, Sep 14, 2009.

1. momahenTN

momahenTN Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    N.W.Tennessee
    Ok, A hot summer, then had a round of antibiotics, then we wormed. They have had nothing in almost a month. I feed layer crumbles. Not getting many eggs. I have 18 in my hen house and no eggs for a week. What's going on?

2. momahenTN

momahenTN Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    N.W.Tennessee
    Oh yeah I forhot they have been molting as well.

3. lightbread48

lightbread48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    Chances are if they are old enough to be laying something is getting them. I had 9 hens in my coop and had been getting 9 eggs everyday . . . then one day I had only 7. . . then the next day only 3. I was thinking well maybe they are taking a break or something. Then I went out there an there were no eggs for like 3 or 4 days in a row. I was sooo confused. I was thinking surely they all dont take a break at the same time. So one night I went out to feed up and I found the culprit. A FAT oak snake was in the nest and had a belly full of eggs!!! So now I keep a golf ball or 2 in the nest and every now and then I find a snake with a few in his belly. This might sound kinda cruel but they dont steal my eggs anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by