where Did partridge come from?

Roxannemc

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
SE Missouri
Gues this question should go i n "what is this?" thread but my camera battery is down so have to post a pic later.

Thought the saavy Orp ppl might have the answer
I have hatchery Buff Orp hens and i had a Light Brahma roo He fertilized their eggs.
HAtched mixed BO x LB chicks and the pure Lights eggsset al ltogheter as the roo fertilzed all of them... all chicks are yellow and a few dont have the black on their wings so i assume they are the Buff Orp cross.

.Then
Also have a part English BBS Orp roo (solid black) and hes in with 2 Buff Brahma girls
They have had maybe 15 chicks and all were solid black maybe a dasgh of white on chestwhen young and one has white eyebrows.

This said.....
Can either of these crossed make a partridge color chick with clear legs?

I have had one of these partridge colors come out in 2 hatches now they also have clear legs and a rust color head.

Other than pure LOs or pure gold silver laced Brahmas in pens by themselves these are the only possible crosses it can be from witrh the clear legs but each has produce totally different chicks already not partridge

One BO hen did find a way one day into the LO coop so??? a LO x Buff orp cross?

MY question what combination of color genes makes up partridge color? I am assuming with clear legs it HAS to be one of the two above mentioned Brahma X Orp mixes

Im really stymied

Just because the chick has a down color similar to partridge down does not mean the chick will develop partridge plumage as an adult. The black birds and a laced bird you have could carry a gene needed to express the partridge color- the other birds you mentioned would not carry the gene needed to produce partridge.

The major gene needed to make the partridge variety is the pattern gene. Some of the birds you mentioned are columbian restricted so they ordinarily would not produce partridge offspring.

Tim

Last edited:
What is LO?
What do you mean with clear legs?
Thanks for the info..Heres pics.
Ok I have these same chicks each new hatch now .
All the eggs Im collecting are from pure Lavender Orpingtons , pure Light Brahmas, LB x Buff Orp cross, and Gold laced Brahma hen crossed with Silver Laced Brahma roo the Buff Brahmas stopped laying over a month ago and some of the newest chicks are this too so not the Blk orp X Buff Brahmas

Above is all I have laying so its one of these...Here is the oldest chick maybe 4 weeks old. Have some just born today too. ,

Last edited:
Just because the chick has a down color similar to partridge down does not mean the chick will develop partridge plumage as an adult. The black birds and a laced bird you have could carry a gene needed to express the partridge color- the other birds you mentioned would not carry the gene needed to produce partridge.

The major gene needed to make the partridge variety is he pattern gene. Some of the birds you mentioned are columbian restricted so they ordinarily would not produce partridge offspring.

Tim
HUmm Tim interesting
Look at the neck on this one the oldest ...Others are still black with just rust heads One is about a week or so old and getting some partridge coloring. in the wing feathers too .

HUmm Tim interesting
Look at the neck on this one the oldest ...Others are still black with just rust heads One is about a week or so old and getting some partridge coloring. in the wing feathers too .

The male you have pictured is columbian restricted which will rule out the partridge secondary color pattern ( concentric rings on a single feather) in an adult bird. The feathers on the breast of a male should be black and not the color in the photograph. The pattern gene is not expressed in partridge males but is expressed in partridge females. The partridge secondary color pattern is only found in females or males that are henny feathered. Partridge males will be black breasted red.

Any breed/variety that is crossed with a standard brahma should produce offspring with feathered legs and feet If your brahma do not have the correct amount of feathering on the feet and legs- then it is possible that a brahma could be a parent of a chick without leg feathering. A low percentage (less than 10%) of standard feathered legged and non-feather legged cross chicks can hatch without feathered legs.

My guess is that the chick is black orpington x buff brahma cross. Normally black birds carry silver but it would appears your black male is carrying gold.

Tim

Last edited:
The male you have pictured is columbian restricted which will rule out the partridge secondary color pattern ( concentric rings on a single feather) in an adult bird. The feathers on the breast of a male should be black and not the color in the photograph. The pattern gene is not expressed in partridge males but is expressed in partridge females. The partridge secondary color pattern is only found in females or males that are henny feathered. Partridge males will be black breasted red.

Any breed/variety that is crossed with a standard brahma should produce offspring with feathered legs and feet If your brahma do not have the correct amount of feathering on the feet and legs- then it is possible that a brahma could be a parent of a chick without leg feathering. A low percentage (less than 10%) of standard feathered legged and non-feather legged cross chicks can hatch without feathered legs.

My guess is that the chick is black orpington x buff brahma cross. Normally black birds carry silver but it would appears your black male is carrying gold.

Tim
Thanks Tim You may be right even though I didnt think i had any of these eggs incubating and all of the 10 or 15 chicks that hatched before from them were solid black, black legs, no feathers on legs black beak even
and the The Buff girls stopped laying for weeks maybe 2 months? until this week
but it really does look like they should be from that cross!!
Could it be from a LO roo and Buff Orp hen?
HE got out once and did mate one Buff Orp hen. or did you say its not possible with the LOs
By the way What color would you call this anyway? This does look like hes getting a necklace of gold....
Only thing about that is sounds right looks right but I have 3 of these and none have leg feathers ?? just the cross or how can all 3 be part of the 10% ?

Most likely the lav orpington and the buff orpington. This was the first cross I thought it would be but I guess did not understand the possibilities in your post. Chicks will be the same color- genetics works out the same. There is no name for the color- it would be called restricted black in my thinking. His adult color will be some different than the color he has now.

Tim

Last edited:
Most likely the lav orpington and the buff orpington. This was the first cross I thought it would be but I guess did not understand the possibilities in your post. Chicks will be the same color- genetics works out the same. There is no name for the color- it would be called restricted black in my thinking. His adult color will be some different than the color he has now.

Tim
Really? That is interesting! I didnt much think the LO would have anything to do with this color.!!They do have grey legs
Would make sense too that they come out that color and the Brahma are not involved b/c of the totally bare legs.and the chicks already born that dont look like this from the other crosses so does lead us to this logical cross.
Now i am interested to see what they turn out like.

That brings up another chicken question Im ignorant about
My LB that died was fertilizing the Buff orp hen orginally and i know they can have chicks fro m that same roo for weeks after it died and they did.
...But i would have thought her eggs would be already fertilized by him when the LO roo jumped on her
Would there be some left to fertilize ?

Im totally ignorant of the mating and fertilzation of hens eggs.Or doesnt it work like that? Thank you so much for all the help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom