Where did these barred rock chicks come from??

chickenbritt5908

Songster
Nov 20, 2019
Oklahoma
One of my blue australorp hens.. or it could be from my jersey giant… laid and hatched eggs. I have a barred rock x buff Orpington rooster and I have a New Hampshire red rooster. The chicks look like barred rocks… is that possible from my buff x barred roo??

Attachments

• IMG_9546.jpeg
    IMG_9546.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 70267693713__32264B75-C8AE-468C-A870-BA73DCEE6FF6.jpeg
    70267693713__32264B75-C8AE-468C-A870-BA73DCEE6FF6.jpeg
    871.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 70267691524__DDF3B7F6-CF4B-42C7-8DD2-1BFE9FC18C37.jpeg
    70267691524__DDF3B7F6-CF4B-42C7-8DD2-1BFE9FC18C37.jpeg
    863.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8342.jpeg
    IMG_8342.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 27
If I understand genetics right, (and I likely don't, I'm sure someone will be along to give better and correct answers)
The barring comes from the rock x buff, (handsome fella), and the black comes from mostly momma and a little from dad.
Though, unless you own the birds that bred the roo, I'm not sure he's barred rock x buff orp or else he'd be black.
If I'm using kippenjungle.nl right, I cheat.
They aren't barred rocks, just cute, barred barnyard mixes.
Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Agreed on all counts! Black Jersey Giants and Blue Australorps are both based on the extended black gene, E, that is dominant and covers up most other color patterns. This is what makes them solid black or blue instead of patterned with black or blue. So the chicks look like they're extended black because they inherited that gene from their mother. However, the barring gene from the father's side is also dominant over no barring, so shows up in the form of a head spot in the chick down and white stripes in the feathers of the chicks that inherit the gene. Thus, the chicks resemble Barred Rock chicks because Barred Rocks are also E extended black plus barring. 🙂 These chicks being mixes most likely will feather out with varying amounts of color leakage, especially males, so will likely not look exactly like Barred Rocks once grown.

The chicks look like barred rocks… is that possible from my buff x barred roo??
Barred chicks that LOOK like Barred Rocks: yes, definitely possible, especially considering the colors of the possible mothers.

Chicks that really ARE Barred Rocks: no, as several other people have said, they are not actual Barred Rocks. Just barred mixed-breed chicks.

(I'm not quite sure which thing you were asking.)

If I understand genetics right, (and I likely don't, I'm sure someone will be along to give better and correct answers)
The barring comes from the rock x buff, (handsome fella), and the black comes from mostly momma
Yes

Though, unless you own the birds that bred the roo, I'm not sure he's barred rock x buff orp or else he'd be black.
I agree, if one parent was a Barred Rock, he should be mostly black with white barring, instead of having those large areas of white on him.

Back
Top Bottom