1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Where did you get your Magpie duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 5, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I haven't been able to find any hatchery that sells this breed except for one I have never heard of. Where did you get yours?

2. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    We got ours from a local farm. We got fertilized eggs and hatched them.

3. Emma909

Emma909 In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Ideal poultry has magpies i'm pretty sure

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Songster

Jan 12, 2011
    Holderread Waterfowl Farm is where we got ours.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Probably the best source but pricy. Magpies are about the hardest duck to keep the correct markings through breeding so Show people tend to stay away.~gd

6. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Songster

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Probably the best source but pricy. Magpies are about the hardest duck to keep the correct markings through breeding so Show people tend to stay away.~gd

The price, for us, wasn't so far off other hatcheries. Shipping is what gets expensive. But, I have heard the same thing about keeping correct markings.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

The price, for us, wasn't so far off other hatcheries. Shipping is what gets expensive. But, I have heard the same thing about keeping correct markings.

I raised mine from Holderread, 2nd generation were better than what I bought, 3rd the pattern was just gone!

8. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Songster

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:The price, for us, wasn't so far off other hatcheries. Shipping is what gets expensive. But, I have heard the same thing about keeping correct markings.

I raised mine from Holderread, 2nd generation were better than what I bought, 3rd the pattern was just gone!

Wow. So how does one maintain the 'correct' patterns then? Luck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by